Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

VERY basic post processor?

hordur

Im using mastercam at work, and have access to a VERY basic computer-controlled hot wire cutter for foam plastic (used to cut rc model wings and fuselage) at a friends house.

And i would VERY much be able to use mastercam to post the work-files since its WAY better/faster than to manually calculate all the coordinates..

The cutter uses very simple coordinates and no G/M-codes, just the coordinates in numerical form

(

10.0 25.5

15.5 25.5

)

(X Y)

so my question is, can i make or modify a post to only post the coordinates (no X/Y/Z nor M/G-Codes)?

ive never programmed anything before (exept som scripting), so im hopelessly lost here on my own.. so any help is GREATLY apreciated!

but the cutter uses 2 towers with wire in between, and the towers are individually controlled.

So in order to cut non-symetrical shapes (such as tapered wings or fuselage with thinner tail than front, the towers must have the same ammount of points since they will arrive at each point simultaniously and in order.

(the towers are controlled by individual nc programs)

I think we do have that module at work.. but what am i looking for?

as i said earlier, i have no idea about coding, and since this is a personal project, i cant possibly ask my sales rep for a quote since it would be ALOT more than i can afford..

Yes Jimmy just the post does a lot when feed rates and such to take sync into account if the machine does not have that capability. If he were making a pyramid for example the top head would move for only 30 seconds while the bottom head may move for 4 minutes. This person now needs to do some math for figuring out what feed rate for each one is going to be the correct one. For this example that is pretty easy. Now do the same for an organic shape. If the machine does not have this ability and it should come from the post code how would one go about that and it be a basic post?? I am not saying none of this can't be done, but (removed and just going to chew my tongue off now)

Be great if the was an open post that all could use to tweak, but only that will happen is if someone like myself pisses off every dealer and CNC and develops one on my own and offers if for free. The thought has crossed my mind a few 1000 times, but I digress and will just repeat what I said from beginning, yes it can be done, but a basic free post sorry I do not think so.

If I can not get a damn thing for a required, and much needed syncing problem in lathe and this what I consider more than basic is free, lets just say I will keep my mouth shut and not say what I really think. wink.gifwink.gif

hmm.. appearantly this is more complex than i realized..

but to clarify, if you imagine the above mentioned pyramid:

with 4 points shared between the machine, it will simply reach the same point simultaniously.

even if you add complexity to the mind-model, one tower is making a square while the other a circle, as long as they both have equal ammount of coordinate points, they will move in sync between the points.

with more complex curves, the same logic is applied, both towers reach same point in the sequence regardless of their relative positions.

so basicly (what i was thinking) is to be able to get the coordinates for each tower separately, then reset and post the second one.

as long as i have any control over the number of points (making same number of points) this would probably work just fine smile.gif

and to relate to my work-experience, a straight line will be posted as a start and finish position, wich is pretty much exactly what i want.

...without all the bells and wistles of course smile.gif

do a debug and then start stripping out things you do not need. Make standard toolpaths computer with no offset and that will take care of most of the work for you. I did an example of what I think you are after and put it in the MX2 folde on the FTP. It is called WIRE EXAMPLE.Z2G it was done in X2MR2SP1.

Here are the nc files from both programs.

code:

O0000

(PROGRAM NAME - TOP )

(DATE=DD-MM-YY - 12-03-08 TIME=HH:MM - 14:39 )

N100 G20

N102 G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90

( 1/2 INCH FLAT ENDMILL TOOL - 1 DIA. OFF. - 1 LEN. - 1 DIA. - .5 )

N104 T1 M6

N106 G0 G90 G54 X2.1213 Y-2.1213 A0. S1069 M3

N108 G43 H1 Z4.

N110 G3 Y2.1213 R3. F6.42

N112 X-2.1213 R3.

N114 Y-2.1213 R3.

N116 X2.1213 R3.

N118 M5

N120 G91 G0 G28 Z0.

N122 G28 X0. Y0. A0.

N124 M30

O0000

(PROGRAM NAME - BOTTOM )

(DATE=DD-MM-YY - 12-03-08 TIME=HH:MM - 14:39 )

N100 G20

N102 G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90

( 1/2 INCH FLAT ENDMILL TOOL - 1 DIA. OFF. - 1 LEN. - 1 DIA. - .5 )

N104 T1 M6

N106 G0 G90 G54 X4. Y-4. A0. S1069 M3

N108 G43 H1 Z0.

N110 G1 Y4. F6.42

N112 X-4.

N114 Y-4.

N116 X4.

N118 M5

N120 G91 G0 G28 Z0.

N122 G28 X0. Y0. A0.

N124 M30

HTH