Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Small metric tap feed question

John13

Good morning, could somebody tell me a good starting point for feed for a 1.4 x 0.3mm metric tap. I have it converted to inch, however I am getting 4158 spindle speed and a feed rate of 352044.7 when I click Calc. Speed/Feed eek.gif

Now if I have the Metric values box selected, I get a 6000 Spindle Speed and a Feed rate of 2.79. Is this more reasonable??

Material is aluminum, what would be a good starting point, I do not want to break any taps, at least not to many, trying to figure this out. Thank you for your help.

.3MM pitch comes up to .0118, so 6000 RPM would give you 70.86 IPM. 6 grand is a lot unless you have a tapmatic or similar device and is probably a lot for that, too. Thru or blind? Cut threads or formed threads?

First effort I'd try 1386 rpm at .0118ipr

With a form tap you can run the speed up higher, but you'll start to run into synchronization problems if you rigid tap with too much RPM. If you run a tension-only tap holder and underfeed by 2% or so you can probably go a little faster than rigid but you'll have to make sure you have a little clearance under the tap because the tap will most likely overshoot the depth a bit that way.

If the machine will tap at 2079RPM I'd give that a go [same IPR, obviously] and start .200 above the hole to give the synchronization a little room to get locked up

Thank you, I'll start at 2079 RPM, giving me feed rate of 24.458. Thanks for the help. .2 above part.

rigid tapping using a tap collet, and I drilled .175 deep and am only tapping .130. hopefully hitting bottom will not be an issue.

It might not make any difference but I like to find whole numbers to tap with.

In this case 30 ipm and 2540 rpm.

I find it looks better in code and there is no rounding out of the last decimal.

I find it's easier to start with a feed and match the rpm to suit.

HTH

I use a lot of small metric roll taps in alum. rigid tapping with taps .9mm to 1.4mm in inch mode. on a 1.4mm x .3 i use 1500 rpm at .01181102 pitch. my control will take 8 dec. places. with small taps .0001 ether way is alot. at your depth of .130 deep or 11 revolutions or .0011 . use more places if your control will handle it. i start at .05 above the hole. i use a 1.25mm carbide circuit board drill for the hole. hope this helps

I would not ream a 1/8-27; just drill and tap it. I'd start around 10SFM and would consider peck tapping that hole [maybe 2 pecks] if the machine doesn't have a gearbox. 20hp sounds nice but the belt-drive machines have about 2 lb-ft of torque at low RPM which can cause troubles with tapered threads.

When solid tapping on a Haas the exact feed is required Fx.xxx I have found that 127 is a sort of magic number for metric taps. take any metric pitch yours for example .3mm = .11811024 * 127 = 1.5 find a multiple of 127 in the expected range that you wanted to run the tap at and voila'. If we use Chris's 2079, the nearest multiple of 127 is 2032,

that gives me a feed of F24.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I thin 5,000 is the max RPM you can tap at in any machine.

When I tap I ALWAYS tap in IPR, that way I can tweek the speed to suit the material/conditions without having to give a thought to the feed.

With a blind hole, I'd roll tap that sucker though.