Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

One way machining

TimW

Hi,

I have searched here and could not find any references to this question, so I thought I would post.

I am using Mastercam 9 Mill for some simple 2D machining. I am trying to chain a series of lines and arcs and need the cutter to feed from one direction only, from left to right.

I have had no luck figuring out how to do this, there are a couple check boxes called "One Way" but they do not seem to have any effect, the chaining is still a mixture of both directions.

Is there a way of accomplishing this without manually selecting each chain or manually reversing the direction of the chain?

Cheers!

T.

When you are picking the chains you need to pay attention to the direction arrow when selecting these chains. If you pick one going left and the other going right you will get what you are seeing. When you are picking chains and have made this error you can go back and reverse single chains in the geometry section of any operation where you have picked chains or solid chains to drive an operation.

HTH

quote:

Is there a way of accomplishing this without manually selecting each chain or manually reversing the direction of the chain?

Ron, meh thinks he's looking for one of these

easybutton_lg_top.gif

In X on your masking options on the chaining dialog box you can choose Open contours one way,

yup

Tool paths >> contour >> window >> choose options, search direction for open chains one way, use your select window and select, then select start point

go into your operations manager..

click on geometry..

hold down the control key and pick the chain...it should turn a white on the screen if its going the correct way click it again and it will unselect itself... continue going down the list of geometry..all with the control held in selecting the geometry you want to change the direction on. When all are highlighted that you need to change let go of the control key and right click below the geometry chains. Then select reverse direction. And all should be well.

Well this has me buffaloed.

I have tried the above technique very carefully and it still chains in both directions.

Reversing the chains manually would work, but not a realistic option due to the numbers of files we are working with.

Tim,

Just for ha ha's do this;

window select a straight row of the chains and see if it works. That's even if it's only a half dozen of them.

If that works window the remaining geometry in rows.

If not I suggest emailing the file to someone or put in on the FTP site.

I'm not at work but I could try Wednesday.

Thanks for the tip, I will give this a try later today and see what happens.

I did send the file to JParis@CNC Programming Solutions®, he got the same results, both directions in the chains.

I believe he said it is the nature of the geometry as there are lines that intersect with each other and this may be tricking the software.