Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best Garage shop CNC to convert?

Dracbus

Hi. I was thinking about buying a milling machine and converting it into a CNC for my home garage. I havnt done this before so i was wondering if anyone has done it on the forums and if they have any ideas on what milling machine they think would work the best. I would like to be able to machine aluminum and steel. It would be nice to have a decent amount of machine travel. Low cost would also be a plus but I also want a decent quality machine. Ive looked at some series 1 bridgeports and they would be nice but they are fairly expensive to convert compared to smaller machines. Not too mention it would be a large investment for something as risky as starting a small home machine shop. I would mostly use it for personal uses for home projects but it would also be nice to be able to use it to produce parts and make a little money on the side. Im currently looking at the sieg X3 or a grizzly. They seem really good for small parts of hobby stuff but is that the limit of the functionality?Ive also seem some Jet milling machines that seem to have more power and travel for about 600 dollars more. But im not sure what it would cost to convert it to a cnc. Im also not sure weather to get a milling machine or possibly a milling/lathe combo. They are more expensive and im not sure how well they work. So really As much imput as anyone can offer would be very much appreciated. Im very flexible and open to ideas and have been very pleased with previous help and responses on these forums. Thanx.

What do you guys think about this deal.

http://www.syilamerica.com/catalog/product...&products_id=28

Its around the price ringe i was looking for and i dont need a bunch of room in my shop compared to a full size mill. I know its not a haas TM1 or anything but for smaller stuff i would think it should be alright. I was thinking if i started small like this to break the ground that once i got fairly productive with this model and started making some money with it that i could upgrade if i need too. I was kinda thinking that starting out with a large expensive machine would be alot more risky and i would need alot more money up front. I also believe they have a 4th axis you can add to this unit for fairly cheap. Thanx for imput.

Thats one of the reasons ive been considering the smaller machines. I believe this sieg supper x3 cnc conversion takes 230v ac. I dont think i should get a large machine because i would have costs up front switching to 3 phase. Even tho im not sure what the costs would be to switch to 3 phase im just guesing from past experice with wiring electrical that it wont be cheap.

Dracbus,

I would stay away from the "hobby" machines. They are ok for making some hobby and model parts out of wood and plastic but all of them I have seen have trouble with aluminum and steel. I have seen and got mid '80's machines for as little as $4-$5k. I think you’ll be disappointed with the bench top hobby mill in the long run. One of the other down sides is that if you do have success and need a bigger machine you’ll have trouble getting 50% of you money back out of the hobby mill on the used market.

425 pounds and 1.3 HP ...yikes...the machines I mentioned above were R8 spindles, 40taper would be more $$ at auction and better. I just saw some phase converters at a low price on e-bay and they were rotary types. just be careful buyin on the internet as some people have put up things for sale they only took pictures of.

I second the Tormach.

I've had one in my garage for about a year. With there quick change tooling it is pretty good. It's definately no VMC but good bang for the buck.

It's also a great way to learn Mastercam with out risking the bosses machine

Barry

Leehound on this forum just had a milltronics machining center without the toolchanger and enclosure for sale for around 7k , I think...may have been about a month ago on off -topic side and think I saw it on e-bay...very good deal, great shape to look at it...made in the USA and supported by factory. I thought about buyin it but bought a Moore G-18 jig-grinder and a Charmilles sinker EDM at out of state auctions, hope they arrive this week, pretty spooky sending people money you have never met.

The tormach is defanatly a fitting machine for what i was thinking about doing. Its even single phase. The price is a little higher then i was initially thinking of spending but like i said befor i dont mind going over budget if i can get something that performs better and is worth the money.

"It's also a great way to learn Mastercam with out risking the bosses machine

Barry "

Ive been working at a machine shop since i was 17 and a couple of years ago they moved me into the programming department. Ive been here for about 2 years now. We use mastercam X2 at the moment. I was just thinking of doing something like this so i could have a machine at home and do some of my own stuff. I have some designs for some prototypes. I was thinking of trying to make some more money on the side by programing or if i get a machine for my garage, then maybe run some parts there. My issue is im one of 2 programmers for a small mold shop of about 15-18 ppl. But since I kinda started off here they keep my pay fairly low. I know alot of people on these forums have alot more experience then that and have probly been in similar situations. So if anyone feels like they might have some good advice for me it would be much appreciated. Im only 23 years old so im still young and im very fast at learning things. Thank you everyone for your imput on this post.