Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT: DME Mold Bases

Brian B 74

We usually make our own custom mold bases for the molds we manufacture. We are starting to get into DME retainer sets for use in single cavities.

My question is this: How does everyone pick up center of the plate? Just square an edge then pick up center with an indicator/edge finder? Square edge and pick up an offset dowel? Square using dowels?

When building a mold I always prefer to use the "offset" hole, that is the one leader pin/bushing hole location, which is offset to prevent misalingment. All alingment should be done off of leader pin/bushing holes. This helps ensure the two halves match up correctly and everyone will will always know where "zero" is at.

If I understand your question correctly, On mold bases you indicate in the longest side, then tram the block central as Moldmakers work of the side of the mold to bring in the shut-offs and mismatch.(if cavity pocket is out of true position, they will make adjustments)...I use to build dies and they "tram in" a guide pin as outer edge is flame-cut and when I started in a mold shop I did the same thing and was quickly corrected by other Moldmakers as they want you measureing your pocket location as you go to make sure it is in correct spot from outside as a little care doing the base right, can save more time in the end with less adjustments. I may not have understood your question. On some molds I think the guide pin method would also work just fine in my opinion.

There are no pockets cut into this plate. Cavity is machined directly into the plate - 2 plate construction. I work from center, but the question was find center by indicating/edge finding plate edges, or use an indicator to square and locate off of existing dowel locations from DME.

BBGun, Do you set your X0 Y0 at the center of the plate? If so how do you pick up zero again if you have to rework something or repair something later? I have built rubber compression molds, plastic injection, spin cast, all types of molds for many different companies and we always squared/tramed in using the front two guide pin holes and then used the single offset pin to set X0 Y0. You don't have to set G54 at the offset pin location, just use it as a constant reference to find the theoretical center of the plates. Using this method will ensure that everthing lines up and you can work on both sides of both plates and be assured that your detail will be whre you want it and if you ever need to do a repair its easy to find zero again.

Usually what happens is that we start with a blank plate. I install the leader pins and DME locators. So those holes are in location in reference to the machine. As far as a DME retainer set, I don't know how accurate the hole locations are. My concern was are they safe to use for squaring the plate. But from the way it sounds it sounds like it is safe.

At PCS we machine all plates from blank using a center pick up. If we are machining a pre made plate we will always back up the pick up by measuring off of the offset pin location. As mentioned above it will insure correct plate alignment. I believe our Mold Base's are the best available but I guess I am a little partial. We are currently adding mold base cad files in all configurations to our website for download. Take a look at www.pcs-company.com