Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Com port initialization

Forced_Firebird

Hello everyone, my name is John and I have been lurking the forums for a bit, but this is the first post.

Here's the situation:

I'm working with MC8.1.1, Kitamura Mycenter2 with a Fanuc System 6m.

We have been loading programs into the memory and it has been working fine, but as you know the memory in a 1981 machine is a bit limited, lol. We have narrowed it down and can fit ~890 lines tongue.gif

I called Fanuc to see if I can drip-ffed the programs but am having a problem with the port initialization. The NC will alarm "rs232" when there isn't any actual data being sent. They said that I should be able to hit "read" and sit there all day until the program is sent. As of now, we have to send on the PC first, then have the ammount of the line delay to hit read or we miss some of the program (usually set to .2 sec). This can be a pain, as you can imagine.

I'm hoping I have a setting wrong, but have not been able to track it down.

The editor I'm using is MCedit, and I'm sending it through "communications" in the "file" folder.

Thanks in advance,

-john

Yes, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I have searched all the past threads on the drip feeding, but none have answered my inherent problem. Fanuc sent me a fax with both the hdwr and sftwre connection configurations and I am correct on the cable for software handshaking.

The problem is if I hit "read" on the machine in any mode (tape or edit) it alarms because it doesn't think the cable is plugged in. The machine needs some kind of signal present and MC is not giving that signal until a program is already being sent.

Thanks for the response smile.gif

try turning on the "wait for xon/xoff" setting in the editor. then hit send on the pc, and THEN go to the control and hit read.

pc will basically be "waiting" for the recive signal from the control. flow control software i belive. also depends on how your cable and pins are connected. don't have spec's in front of me now.

edit: I guess your cable is built ok.

The "wait for xon/xoff" switch will be in the communications panel.

For DNC, using 8.1.1 you should be using the communications function, not a program text editor.

I think it is

File - Next Menu - Communicate (or Comm)

Something like that.

This should bring up a communications dialog box that you can use to configure your DNC parameters.

I need the com port to open befor sending anything.

If I leave the DOS window open after a program (not sending it, but not closing the com port), then hit "read" on the machine, it doesn't alarm. I even tried leaving a DOS window open and sending another program, but get a "com port is being used by another program" from the PC.

Is there a way to open the port from MC?

It works fine for terminal use. Can I open the terminal then send something?

• 2 weeks later...

Many many years ago I ran an Acroloc with Fanuc 6 and I had some notes with settings for MC version 6.2

The only difference in the communications from it to yours is our baude rate was 1200.

The settings in the machine were:

TV CHECK=0(OFF)

PUNCH CODE=O(ISO)

INPUT UNIT=1(INCH)

INPUT DEVICE=2(RS232C)

OUTPUT DEVICE=2(RS232C)

INPUT DEVICE=1 -BG.EDIT-

OUTPUT DEVICE=2 -BG.EDIT-

I don't have any other info just this one note I had. Just maybe this might help???????