Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rest rough optons

K10LT1

I have always had problems using rest roughing tp's. Either machining too much material or not enough. Could someone please explain to me how they like to use their options. Mainly the stock resolution and adjustment to remining stock settings. Also how does the stock to leave in XYZ setting effect the tool path. Will a higher amount cause the tool to cut less areas or cut the same areas only leaving more stock? I was told if your previous ops. left .01 stock then the rest rough should be set to say .015.

Thank you

Kyle

I like to keep my stock left, the same values as my roughs, I also will use a CAD model for stock in the rest mill as well.

One thing to remember when creating the stl for your rough stock is to NOT use Turbo mode but use Fast Forward instead.

If you have a particular example of what you think is "too much" stock removal I'd be happy to have a look at it.

What difference does turbo and FF have on the stl. model?

I dont have a particular example. I just dont like it when the tp machines surfaces that only have heavy scalops leftover from pervious ops. instead of only going into areas that the roughing ops didnt go.

Thanks for the reply

I've posted these previously, here they are again.

Screen Shot 1, shows an stl overlay of a rough routine saved after Fast Forwrad

normalstl.png

Screen Shot 2, shows and stl overlay of the exact same roughing routine after using Turbo.

turbostl.png

Almost all of my roughing is done with a 3/4" ball (mold type impression work) in a HSM Area Clear toolpath leaving .030 stock. I use the HSM Rest Rough 1/4" ball leaving .010" and an STL file like John showed above to prepare for finishing. I WANT the smaller tool to machine off the heavy scallops left over from roughing so that I get a more even chip load over the whole surface when finishing.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent topic.

I have never used Rest roughing myself, I can see the benefits of using it. but have never been able to get settings correct to give me a nice toolpath. In fact have a job right now that would benefit from this toolpath, would any of you be willing to see my file and show how it could be used?