Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Seattle - Tech Expo

Ployd

We are planning on attending the expo up at Boeing's Museum of Flight, June 19th. I'd like to meet some of the local people that frequent the forum. Nils and I will be the two dorks in blue Technical Tooling golf shirts. We will probably be sitting next to Colin drilling him with questions. biggrin.gif

Bill

It is an expo that is put on every year by our dealer. They will go over X3, new features, etc. They usually have some different vendors get up and talk about their products. Last year they invited us to get up there and give a 10 minute presentation about what we do and how we use Mastercam.

biggrin.gif

Hi Bill, I think we are bringing about 10 people down from our group. You guys should write down a list of questions that you have. I'll answer what I can at the Expo, and if we can't get to everything, I might be able to make a video or do a write-up of solutions.

How is everything going with your Quintax?

I haven't seen a link to the expo on Cimtech's website yet. I'll post it when they get it up. It is at Boeing Field (Museum of Flight) from 8:30 - 3:00 and you must sign up.

Colin, work is going good but we've been having some spindle issues burning up the bearings. We just ordered a new spindle that might better suit our needs. We run some pretty long cutters and the material we cut can be pretty abrasive. Plus we have problems reaching the warm up range and then we get too hot after cutting for 5-6 hours. I wonder if other composite shops have problems with spindles lasting? Anyway we are pretty busy at the shop and I can't wait to get the new spindle. We will get the old one rebuilt and keep as a backup.

Spindles seem to be a problem in the composites industry. I've been looking at some machines that take this into account. There is a machine from Italy that has a built in Head changer. They make head cartridges that have different features like a low speed spindle for harder materials.

The real benefit that I see would be the abliltiy to just change your head if it needs to be serviced. It is an expensive proposition to have a spare head, but it sure beats missing deadlines and having down time.

The other machines I've seen have a replaceable spindle cartridge that can be swapped out fairly quickly if you have a spare one on hand.

Still, it is a lot of capital to have invested.

• 3 weeks later...

It was good as usual. Packed house. Sorry, we missed you I was looking forward to meeting you. I kept looking for

quote:

the short fat bald guy...

After introducing myself to all the short, fat, bald guys I got real tired!

Missed Colin this year, also.

Anyhow, they talked a lot about 5-axis, X3 and new features. They said the release date should be next month.