Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Impeller help

Greg_J

I'm making programs for an impeller, I am using a 4 axis machine. I can make the program I like but when I go to backplot it it runs up in the air above the part, but the numbers at the bottom are at the right locations.

Any ideas what's going on?

I also might need some help making good programs for this part, I have never machined these parts before, any tips would be great.

Thanks,

Greg

Go Wings!

Bruce you've got mail.

I want the toolpath to wrap around the part and I can only get it to machine 45 deg of the part. It must be a setting? I looked at my machine def but I can't seem to find any settings that would help this problem.

Greg I most times use surfaces for parts like this. I also like to use 3d toolpath to give me chains to use curve 5 axis to drive the tool. I will then create vector or lines to drive the tool from the walls of the impellers. Depending on the impeller you should be able to get away with a .500 spacing on the big to smaller dia to drive the tool.

HTH

What do you mean by:

quote:

I also like to use 3d toolpath to give me chains to use curve 5 axis to drive the tool. I will then create vector or lines to drive the tool from the walls of the impellers.

Do you grab one of the lines at the end of the blade of the impeller and x-form offset and copy it over .5?

What 3d toolpath do you use?

I have example impeller I drew up. I will put some toolpaths to it and show you what I mean.

3d toolpaths can be flowline, scallop, or 3d blend. I then a toolpath just on the floor surface. I then backplot the toolpath and save the geometry to a level. I then use 5 axis curve toolpath using that geometry created from the 3d toolpath to drive the tool. With Impellers you need to drive the tool to the floor as well as avoid the walls not an easy feat sometimes. Also I may want a 5 to 10 deg lag angle on the tool to get away from zero rpm at the center of the tool as I am cutting. So if you use anything, but tool axis line you can not do this very easily and get predictable results IMHO. SO I create lines from the edges of the vanes as they go from outside to inside of the impeller.

HTH

That's no problem! We'll just continue when you get it. Thanks Bruce

Thanks Ron for you help too, I still have alot of questions though. I have the mutiaxis book but it doesn't really cover this type of part.

Greg