Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

haas post help

TECHSERV

Hi All,

I need some help with our post. I'm running a program that we had made several years ago with a different post. I guess things went OK. We have a new post now to accomodate peck tapping, and things are disasterous. The new post is not outputting the correct arc moves with I,J and K. And the ball endmill i'm using is gouging the part. I tried everything and finally resorted to using the old post, and it worked great.

It's wierd. The verify never showed that anything was wrong. But sure enough, there would be little gouges in the part. I posted the program with both posts, and there is quite alot of difference in the outputs. I tried going through the post with my moderate post editing skills, but I couldn't find the difference. I want to keep the post that allows us to peck tap, but I also want to be able to do a flowline toolpath without the machine alarming out saying that the IJK numbers aren't right. Any suggestions?

I updated the FTP link in the Sticky at the top of the threads, it should allow easier access for those using a browser instead of an FTP Client.

Click on the JP FTP Link

I downloaded an FTP client and tried the new link, but when I try to transfer the file, it tells me that the password is not right. In any case, if someone would like to help, let me know and I'll email the files to them.

Is there anything I should be looking for in the posts? I thought that maybe it had something to do with arc output, but in comparing the two files, I found they were pretty much the same. Now as I think about it, it's probably not arc output. It's something that thinks it needs to sit in one spot and make small XY moves.

I dont mean to be rude, if anything, ignorance is a key factor in my reply, but I am convinced tapping is old technology. Threadmills are faster, more accurate to hold a depth, easier to tap "tougher" materials in, all around a better way to machine threads. Simple question, again not being an xxxx, but why are you tapping ?

No rudeness taken. Our shop is different than most. We are a support unit for the college of sciences at WSU. Most of the time we are just doing 1 off stuff. In this case tapping is preferred as we can do a simple drill cycle and not have to fuss with the threadmill toolpath. Also, we do some damn small holes (0-80, 00-90, 1-72, and so on.) Although I'm sure we could find a threadmill that would do these, the cost of the threadmill vs. the risk of breaking is just too high. Now, when we have an odd thread (1.035-40) we have no choice but to threadmill. The peck tapping does take longer, and sometimes we don't even use it, but it is nice to have.

That makes sense, I see a lot of guys afraid of even trying it, and I am always left in a stupor of why. Has anyone been able to help you with your post yet ? Have you checked your filter settings? Sounds suspiciously like a filter problem to me

Not that we're afraid to try threadmilling, as we do it when we need it, it's just not cost effective at times. No one has helped yet. If there are filter settings in the post, perhaps I should check those. I'm posting the exact same program with 2 different posts and getting drastically different results. I tried doing a control def compare, and changed some things, but that did not solve my problem. I have a moderate amount of post editing/debugging skills, but I couldn't seem to find the difference between the two.

I went to look at this this morning.

first thing, what you should have done was this.

Create a z2g file, you placed the file up on the FTP but there are no control and machine def's.

You placed the mcx and the 2 posts but there's not really a good way to get both set up and post. I did use + to change the post on the fly and the ONLY difference I see are feed rates are truncated from 6.4147 down to 6.4

One post for some reason sees your file as a G55 the other sees it as a G56, the spacing is different 0 spaces compare to a single space between all words.

If you would like a more concise comparsion, save the file as a z2g with each machine def loaded, this will get someone the defs and posts.

The ONLY difference in arc motion I see is this

code:

G2Y-.8591Z-.2466J-.1042K-.0894

Y-.8517Z-.2906J-.128K-.044

to this

code:

G2 Y-.8591 Z-.2466 J-.1042 K-.0894

G2 Y-.8517 Z-.2906 J-.128 K-.044

and those 2 lines are the same, they stick out in Cimco because the second one does not output the G2 which a machine does not need anyway at that place in code as it is a Modal command and still active.

So if you're seeing BIG difference look to you control definition because the posts while not exact are close.

My bad about not putting the machine defs on there. I didn't think I needed them. Here's why:

All I was doing was simply substituting the post for the other. Yes, I know that this changes settings in my control def, but I knew pretty much exactly how the control def needed to be. That's why I think it's a post thing. I compared line to line as well and they are all pretty much the same. If one looks at the Ball endmill toolpaths, they'll see the same thing for awhile, and then one set of code keeps going with straight XY moves, while the other does nothing. What I mean is, if you compare files side by side, you will see a difference at the ball endmill. One set of code will stop, and the other will make XY moves.

In any case, the Z2G is on the FTP site. Thanks for all the help so far.