Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

wireframe 2d sweep problem

Cjones

All,

I've uploaded a file to the FTP called "rotor drawing." the solid for the part I am making is on lvl 50 and the geometry to drive it is on lvl 12. I created two operations. I cannot seem to get the 2d sweep to cover the entire pocket. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions on a better way to do it would be great.

Also, I cannot figure out why one operations starting rapid move are from the correct orientation while the second start from inside the part even though all the parameters are the same. Please help.

I will probably need to add more roughing steps but I don't want to add more ops until I figure out how to make this work.

Chris

quote:

Also, I cannot figure out why one operations starting rapid move are from the correct orientation while the second start from inside the part even though all the parameters are the same.

Your planes are different in the 2 operations.

I'd have to look into it deeeper, but don't have time now. I'm not sure if you can accomplish this with a swept 2D. Maybe a swept 3D?

Thad

Chris,

I'm out of town right now but I remember seeing different planes. headscratch.gif Just to be sure, you could select both operations and right click-edit selected operations-edit common parameters. Click the planes button, set it to the corect planes, OK and regen the toolpaths. Backplot and see if it's any different.

After a little more thought, I think you're trying to cut a 3D shape with a 2D toolpath. I don't think it can be done.

Thad

• 3 weeks later...

bump

Anyone able to look at the part I put on the FTP "rotor drawing" and give me an opinion. Can I do the pocket on a lathe w/ y axis? The sidewalls are straight and the bottom is the only section with a radius so I think I should be able to, just not sure how to go about it.

I tried using 2d sweep but might not be the best way to go.

Any suggestions would be great.

TY,

Chris

I think the only way your going to get that cut 3D with a Mill 1 is the use a cutter of the size, and do a 3D chain on it.

You "might" be able to do it but you're going to have to create a good deal of geometry, that you can then chain to create the path.