Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom motorcycle question.

Bruce Caulley

Ahoy!,

I have a customer who would like some custom parts made. He is after stainless brake discs and I was curious as to what type of ss and treatment for this application. Also, anyone know a good place for cast wheel blanks with the tyre profile and bore already finished?

Bruce

It would be OK for a show bike, but not for the road.

Cast Iron is 'stickier' than Stainless. It has a better coefficient of friction - and doesn't glaze so easliy. The only drawback with cast iron is the rust issue if you let it sit for long periods if you are in a 'wet' environment.

I made stainless brakes for a Honda 750 way back when. - They didn't stop for Sh!t and required a LOT of extra pressure on the brakes - They were quickly replaced.

quote:

Most brake discs are made of cast iron Grade17

I roadraced motorcycles for over 10 years and had seen cast iron brake rotors fail so frequently that their use was made illegal.

Cast iron brake rotors rust and look like **** and crack when overheated.

You can never be sure what your customer will do with your product so don't set yourself up for a law suit.

Look at the Vesrah or EBC web pages for more info regarding proper production tecniques.

quote:

Ahoy!,

I have a customer who would like some custom parts made. He is after stainless brake discs and I was curious as to what type of ss and treatment for this application. Also, anyone know a good place for cast wheel blanks with the tyre profile and bore already finished?

Click here for 420 Stainless Steel rotor blanks.

Click here for Forged and Cast aluminum wheel blanks.

FWIW all the Japanese manufacturers have been delivering all their street bikes with Stainless rotors for at least the last 10-15 years. They all have proprietary alloys but in my understanding it's close to 420. I oversaw the making of a limited number of sets of custom brake rotors for one of the TV chopper builders. We had them waterjet cut from 1/4", Blanchard ground to .200 for flatness and parallel (ness?) and polished.