Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Scanning

Carl Vallance

You can get the raster to vector c hook and bring it in but then ya gotta play havoc manipulating it to 3d as an mc8,depending on how extensive the 3d modeling needs to be,i always just scan em in and manipulate em with a prog called Tru Space,its incredible for 3d work that starts out as a scanned image,and is more geared for that stlye work than mcam,then i spit it out as a dxf and bring it in to toolpath

I guess I wasn't real clear as to what I need.Raster to Vector conversion is great but I need someway to take a grayscale image and automatically assign a Z depth to it, based on the shade of gray,so that I end up with a 3 dimensional profile that looks like the picture with a total Z depth of about 1/8 inch. As an example pure black would be at 0.0 depth and pure white at -.125 depth with all depths in between to change as the shade of gray changes. It has to output as surfaces or as a solid so that I can generate a tool path with an engraving tool. I've seen this done but I don't know how they did it.

DogFartz does Tru Space do this. If so where can I find out about it.

------------------

Val

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That's a pretty tall order. I think Tru-Space is most likely your best bet. If that doesn't do it, I can't really think of another product that would do this.

James Meyette

Great help so far.

I've found an evaluation copy of Rhino, havn't had a chance to realy look at it yet. I found Artcam, Talked to a dealer and they are sending more info. It looks realy good, but I was quoted $7500. A little to much to pass on to my customer. Can anyone help me find Tru Space or Realcam. Can't seem to find a web site for these.

Anyone else know of a program?

Thanks a lot for all the help. You've given me some good choices. Also some good ideas for topics to use for internet searchs. I have now found over a dozen programs that can do the job. I thank I can find a ggod one within the price range that my customer is willing to fork over for this project. Thanks again for all the help.

------------------

Val