Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid outlines?

DavidB

I am going to be no help, but I wanted this to be on by default I couldn't figure out how to do that. I also wanted grey rather than black. I couldn't figure out how to make that stick, either. This was with X2, I haven't loaded X3 yet.

I wanted the edges hilighted, until I figured out that this made video performance really bad and jerky, and this is with a good graphics card. Maybe this has been fixed in X3?

That sets whether shading is active or not, but there is no check box for edge display when shaded. David's used to be off by default, and now it is on by default. Mine is off by default, and maybe I want it on, and grey. Neither of us can figure out how to make it stick. We know that the behavior we want is possible, we just don't know where to make the change.

Ocean I have never used the "outline shadded edges" in the shadding settings. But now for some reason everytime I open a file it is ON. I don't want it on how do I set it so?

I can not see anywhere where "outline shadded edges" can be set ON or OFF in the config file.

Try emailing [email protected]

I seem to remember something about there being a "default" Mastercam file that gets loaded when you boot up the system. I think if you open that file and make the changes you want, then save that file, it will change the default settings.

I could be totally wrong though, it happens all the time.

If you are referring to the config file, Colin, then yes, you are correct. However, I experimented a bit and discovered the sequence that is causing this situation.

The problem is with the "Shading active" switch on the Shading configuration page (Settings/Configuration.../Shading). If you check this switch then click "OK" then "Yes" to save the settings, when you exit and restart Mastercam, the display mode will be Shaded. However, if you uncheck this switch and do the same steps, the display mode will be what it was at the time you entered the Configuration dialog.

So, the workaround is to make sure the display is in the correct mode before you enter the Shading page to turn off "Shading active". Note that if you are trying to fix the display mode and the switch is already unchecked, you can check it then uncheck it to make the Save settings to... dialog appear when you click "OK". Also, note that you may have to fix both the English and metric settings.

I have entered this problem in the bug log.

Joel

I fiddled a bit and the Shading configuration page and it seems to be working fine, although I am still on X2. What I would like is the edges to be outlined in grey (color 8) when shading is active. If I toggle shading, the edges are not outlined when shading is toggled back on. Can this be done?

I should say, I would want this if my video performance didn't get so terrible when edges are outlined. This is with a Space Pilot, I notice that I can still pan with the mouse, and that turns off the outlines when panning.

Also, the default behavior of the Solid parameters when shading is not active ("hide hidden lines" etc.) doesn't look like it can be changed, or I can't figure it out.

MattW,

You can't do what you'd like to do because the configuration file does not contain all the information it probably should. Ideally, Settings/Configuration.../Shading should allow you to set the default wireframe and shading modes. This would be reflected in the Shading toolbar buttons. That way, Mastercam would use the appropriate mode depending on whether Shading is enabled or not in the configuration.

Joel