Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

More Memory=Better Performance?

Bruce Kanzelmeyer

Bogusmill,

We are just getting the components together to build a new MC workstation and we're starting with the new ASUS Rampage Extreme board and the Q9550 processor. We've ordered a couple of sticks of Patriot DDR3 (2 x 1 gig) (PC3 16000) but now I'm having 2nd thoughts about whether this will really be a speed advantage--I guess we'll just have to wait and see at this point! I'll keep everyone posted.

MCam in my opinion is more processor driven than memory. Faster processor = Faster toolpaths being built. 4 Gig of Ram here, doesnt do anything quicker than with 2 Gig. Dual processor is good though when working with multiple files. Ex. programming large molds, e-mail, excell, Firefox, and all the other stuff we use daily. Otherwise your box is locked untill the toolpaths regen. This is a big selling point to the check writers when trying to upgrade. The benchmark tests kind of confirm this. I use a Dell straight from the factory with 1 step down on the "best" video card, and dual CPU. 10 K drive is a nice feature to keep stuff local and off the network untill done with it. You guys building boxes up are just banging your heads; Its fun to do untill you have problems and need tech support to fix it. Sounds more like a PITA to me. Just my opinion; dont mean to hurt anyones feelings.

I agree with bogus,

with at least 2 gigs system RAM, the next best thing that WILL increase speed is L2 cache(on chip), if you can get a 12meg(2 x 6meg) chip, especially with a 1333 FSB, those there contribute to the biggest gains at the moment.

We tested a 2.67 Ghz CPU with a 1333FSB and 12 meg cache, it was faster than a 3.0 Ghz with a 1066 FSB and 6 meg cache.

Bruce,

Advantages, there is not real advantage to running Mastercam. I do however like the look or Vista. I have not had a single OS issue and MCAM has only crashed a handful of times.

My drives are setup in a RAID 0 format, so it is set for striping.

With the x64 platform I do have access to all of my 4 gigs, I may bump up to 8 gigs over the next week as well.

My laptop at work has really started to behave strangely with XP SP3 in recent weeks.