Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill Boss on Cylinder

TheePres

Im sorry, I didnt explain correctly, you need to blank all red to see boss feature.

Jay, your correct in jaws thats how im holding. what im after is toolpath selection advice, most effecient method of 3-D cutting to achieve finest finish and keep cut time down. Mat. is Hastelloy

Hi

quote:

most efficient toolpath / approach to milling a round boss atop a cylinder.

I would rotate this geometry to a verticle position, make a contour cut with cutter comp.

Then rotated back to the custom alumninum jaw postion, make mininmum amount of trimmed contours.

Then project them onto the cylinder.

My.02

Hi all

I know this is more wind than it's worth ,but here goes.

quote:

I was not sure of what you were saying scott on the trim

I would rotate this geometry to a verticle position, make a contour cut with cutter comp.

Then rotated back to the custom alumninum jaw postion. (earlier post)

I would then have a square looking shape that I want to make round. I would draw 2-d contours

of the existing square and of the boss(circle).

Offset the circle by the srep size of my contour cuts.Then I would trim the offset contours to the existing square. This would end up with little pieces of arcs in each corner of the square .The shape of the void when we put a radii on a square corner is called a SPANDREL.

So in four places I would program each of the corners off (SPANDRELS) localy one at a time,then the main diameter of the boss will be only one pass. Then do the projection.