Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WCS seems to affect location of Verify Stock.

Daniel M

I agree with the above comments. I usually open both parts simultaneously to make sure that I have the stock file and the part file oriented and positioned exactly the same. There is also an option on the Save As STL dialog that allows you to change the coordinate system of the STL file you're exporting. You should generally leave this set to using World Coordinates and not your current WCS.

"The stock from previous ops sometimes doesn't locate where its supposed to be in succesive ops and/or its orientation is whacked out."

========================================

Are you creating mutiple: Machine Groups? Toolpath Groups? WCS origins?

If you answer yes, you need to make sure they are all properly coordinated and pointing at the right places when you create your stock setup and ops.

I will commonly have as many as 30 WCS origins, Machine Groups, and Toolpath Groups to program the 30 parts that they will be for. This typically happens when I receive an Inventor or Rhino Assembly model for programming.

Each Part will have it's own origin and orientation of the planes is handled by the WCS for the given part. No need to move and/or rotate parts to the global origin.

But, going back to your issue, the "planes" for each part must be pointing to the correct WCS and, the Stock setup, as well as the Safety Zone, must also be pointing at the correct WCS for the part.

Guys,

This is something I consider a bug in Verify for X2 MR2 SP1, but there is a workaround that always works.

Degmc hit the nail on the head. Don't use the "Stock View" feature in the Stock Setup page. It will work for orienting a block, but not an STL file...

So do this, always set the "Stock view" to "Top" (System Top view, not your WCS...).

To locate your initial "Block" for verify, Create a Solid of the Stock on another level and use the "Solid" option for your stock type. When you start your roughing in Verify you might have to go into the "configure" page and set the "solid" option here too.

Now verify your operations and save the stock as an STL model.

When you are done, go back into Stock Setup and set the display to "File", then browse to your STL file you just saved.

Set the stock display to "solid" and exit the dialog box. Your cut stock model from verify will now be super-imposed over your geometry as a translucent solid...

The whole point of doing it this way is that your STL models are located correctly and there is no need to transform them.

Personally I create "intermediate" STL models as I'm in the process of creating toolpaths. I might create 5 STL's in the process of writing a program and it is nice to be able to just change the STL model that the Stock Setup page is referencing and have it update in the graphics view as soon as you close the dialog box.

Trust me, the few extra steps are worth it.

Dan, how ya been? Give me a call and lets go over some of this stuff on a saturday. You can buy me lunch and I'll go over some Mastercam stuff with you wink.gif

• 8 months later...