Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chamfering edges

CNCMike

Hi Guys,

I am trying to chamfer (debur) the edges of multiple bosses inside a pocket. The bosses blend into the wall of the pocket and are roughly half the height of the pocket. The only way I have been able to keep the tool from hitting the wall is to create new geometry to allow the tool to lead into the boss away from the wall. This is time consuming and doesn't always work on the first try. Is there a better way get around this?

Thanks for the help, Mike

You can just select the geometry that is already there and adjust the start/end of contour and in the lead in/out window at the bottom. You will want to make the tip clearance as much as possible for the tool you are using so you can get as close to the wall as possible. Like if your using a 1/8 dia tool and you want a .005 chamfer. you would make the tip clearance at like .04 to .05. I do this all the time and the operators love me for it. The customers also like how clean it looks

hth

The other way that I found looks very good but takes a little more time, is to create a champher on the part in your solid or on your surface (if it's not already there) and use Surface High Speed, Waterline. Pick a small endmill with .03 tip rad and profile the champhers. They blend in very nice and you don't have to worry about hitting the walls, it just takes a bit of programming.

My .02$