Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

AMD ????

Barry

From personal experience AMD's are too slow. Bought two identical Lap Tops, same amount of RAM, Graphics, one AMD the other Intel.

The Intel model was 3 to 5 times faster than the AMD. Not to mention my other much older Intel p4 with half the RAM and 1/4 the Graphics was faster than the AMD.

As an additional note I have switched from ATI FireGL's to Nvidia Quadro FX's for the same reason, too slow.

What a way to waste money but the learning experience will last a lifetime. wink.gif

Has anyone tried the New Intel Core i7's yet??

AMD's were faster for a bit several years ago, but they've been slower for a while now. If you know what you're doing you can probably get more bang for the buck with an AMD system if you're shooting for the low end to middle of the market, but Intel has the high end quite solidly.

As for heat, the 1.4GHz to 1.7GHz chips were brutally hot and needed serious coolers, but that's ancient history. I got an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ about three years ago or so, and it served me well until I replaced it last week with a Xeon X3370.

As for the video cards I've gone back to "gaming" cards, much more bang for the buck and all you loose is "RealView" graphics in Solidworks.

I run a X2 64X2 5200+ with 2G only ram and I love it. I run nothing but AMD's at home, there are 3 on the desk in front of me.

I also do hosting and when I have the datacenter put together a server it is always intel. I hate intel but the truth is they have passed AMD in speed per clock ratio. Really sucks.

If I were to build a high end system to run Mastercam it would be Intel sorry to admit.