Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Gview, planes, and WCS confusion

dgoering - DEPCO LLC

First, I am using X2 MR2.

I am trying to follow instructions to create a fan. The instructions were written by someone who no longer works here, and they were written for mcam V9.

The first step of the original instructions tell the user to change the Gview to side and the Cplane to side, and to set Z to 2.0.

"Side" isn't an option for Gview or Cplane, but "Right side" or "Left side" as you all know. So I picked Right Gview and Right Cplane to try to create the part, and set the Z to 2 (using Status bar functions for all of these).

After I set these and began to create geometry, which includes a spline, nothing is displaying correctly, and the spline isn't working the way it is supposed to.

So, I tried to finish creating an airfoil for the fan, but it doesn't view correctly.

I've searched the forum for similar topics, and tried a few other things, like clearing the update view check box in the View Manager, but nothing seems to work.

Advice?

There are some really annoying switches in the Settings | Configuration menu that may be effecting your work.

In the Configuration dialog box, click on "CAD Settings" in the tree view. There are two checkboxes: Update Cplane and Tplane when changing Gview, and Reset C-plane to Top in ISO Gview.

Turn these two switches off. They cause your Planes to switch without warning...

Next, for your design work I'm 99% sure that you only want to work with Planes (Cplane and Tplane), not WCS. I won't go into why, there are 27 pages of information in the Reference Guide PDF file that explain it pretty well.

To set the planes without changing your WCS, use the "Planes" fly out menu on the status bar (not the "View Manager" function in the WCS menu).

The 2D/3D switch is just that, a switch. You may need to draw your geometry in 2D, then toggle the switch to 3D mode. Also, in X2 when you scale you have to pick the scale origin point with the button, in V9 Mastercam prompted you to pick the point...

Can you post the tutorial you are following on the FTP? I'm sure someone can take a look and go through it in X2 and tell you what needs to be done differently...

Thanks,