Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Getting rid of the NCI Tool Change when using the Same tool Number???

crazy^millman

So I use tools all the time for lathe on the main and the sub. I then will use that tool for the Milling on the same part on our Integrex. So in Mastercam it does not play nice with the same tool and direction. So you have to make a copy set it up for the sub spindle using the same tool number and then the post will put my suffix for the letter control for Mastercam. I then have yo use a milling tool which is the same number as that lathe tool. So I end up with 3 different tool all the same tool number and of course Mastercam freaks out and ask what do you want to do. I hit no, but is there switch or something I am missing maybe in the post or Control or Machine def to turn this question off???

Also can we get the ability in Lathe to turn off the multiply work offsets error like we do in mill.

Thanks for any ideas, suggestions or comments.

quote:

Also can we get the ability in Lathe to turn off the multiply work offsets error like we do in mill.

Since we got our Integrex, I am totally with you Ron. This error is stupid and should have a switch to turn it off. I personally use (typically) G54 for my main and G55 for my sub and get that error all over the place. /sigh

Lee no I don't. See the thing is on the Integrex you can use the same tool on the main and the sub. However since things in Lathe do not always work like they are suppose to that make main and sub spindle tools out of the same tool number. The rotate tool 180 should work and sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. So this requires you to make one tool for the main and then another tool for the sub in your tool library, verses the one tool and then just use tool angle of 180 degrees. So you do not need to change tools since they are the same tool. On the Mazak you have what are called suffixes for the tools. They give each tool up to 50 different angle, spindles, and directions to spin the spindle for each tool. So in reality on a 40 station machine you have up to 2000 tool combinations. Seems like a lot, but if you set-up a control method becomes very nice and easy way to handle your tools. Again since Lathe is what it is be nice to add some switches for things to turn off, since we all know Lathe will never get anything again when MMT comes out if it ever comes out. I really doubt here we will ever spend the coin on the MMT.

I have noticed that this "error" occurs when you ues the same tool for different types of operations (i.e.: pocket & contour). The way to avoid it (at least in my case) is that when the operation dialogue pops up and gives you the option to select your tools, if you see that particular tool number already in the window, just click on it and you won't get the question of whether or not you want a tool change to occur when you post out.

I'm certain that if you view the parameters for a given operation and click on the Toolpath Parameters tab, you will see multiple entries for the same tool number.