Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids here, now what??

jspangler

The worst part of MasterCam is their Owner's Manuals and their tutorials. Have no idea that if they don't have good writers or they just simlply don't want you to learn by your self. You can learn more here, in this forum, from so many talents than your owner's books. Since MasterCam dose not encourage and profit is so low, that there isn't many good MasterCam books around. Do you really want to learn it quick? Pay money, go to a class. I am sure MasterCam will be glad to tell you where to go. How much to pay. I have been MasterCam user since V.4. I am V.9 user now. MasterCam has not changed on this part. I might ofend some people in this forum, but it is true. smile.gif

[ 06-19-2002, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: David S ]

Hi

You asked about pulling toolpaths from your drawings,not sure what you mean. Solids is used to extrude solid objects from your geometry.

Whether it's 2-D or 3-D doesn't matter, what you are wanting from solids I'm not sure of. Sounds like your expecting Mastercam to give you toolpath from the solid object you created, but you still have to drive the tools yourself just like before. You might want to elaborate a bit about what you want to do with Solids.

HTH smile.gif

Jim

Hi

Sorry, I guess the question was a little vague. By "2D" i mean no surfacing type cuts, 2 1/2 axis stuff.

Basically I need to know;

Do I change my method of drawing the 2D parts in mastercam to unlock some hidden functionality or benefit of Solids, or do i draw them the same way, pull the toolpaths the same way, and use solids only for visualization?

I can already see how it's going to be a LOT easier to create objects ( even 2D) that have more than 1 side machined. But for my everyday stuff, it's more like a neat toy. At least until I find a better tutorial...

Thanks

John

Hotshot

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

John,

You can always come to class for very little cost (price of materials/books - usually $100) at the NTMA where I teach. Classes run for 16 weeks. You can take classes in CNC Operation, Mastercam, Advanced Mastercam, Advanced CNC, etc...

NTMA Training Centers Locations

Check it out.

Hi

Thanks James. I thinks that's what i will try to do. Scott has been coming down here on his way home lately, slapping me into shape on solids, etc. I actually made my first two parts using Solids yesterday, and it is SOoooo much easier to visualize the part that there is no going back for me.

thanks to everyone on this forum for all the help

John

jspangler,

Solids is much more than visualization. If you pick a face at the bottom of a pocket in a solid part Mcam will know what the depth of that face is from the Absolute origin. It will automatically use all the edges of that face for pocket boundaries, including island edges. In V9, there is a Solid Drill operation which will allow you to drill all the holes of a solid part from one operation, without having to manually select all the holes. You can even use the Solid Drill to perform multiple operations (spot, drill, tap, ream) on all the holes detected on the solid part. There are many advantages to using solids for toolpaths, even for 2-1/2D parts. biggrin.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif