Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Material library X3

Dustin S.

Does anyone use the material library and allow the tools speeds and feeds to be calculated?

My boss thinks maybe we should be using this. Currently I have tool libraries for each machine broke down by material using the tools most conservative numbers for that material and then we fine tune the tools depending on the job and type of cuts.

example: Aluminum.tool, steel.tools etc...

+1 Toolman.

I've never messed around with the material library for a couple reasons. First, our shop does mostly aluminum parts. Second, I would always forget to change back and forth between steel/alum. Lastly, it's so much easier to just define a tool with a given feed/speed like you have done, and simply fine tune them.

My 2 cents.

The material library speed and feed calculations work but like all other softwares I have used it is only a rough starting point. It is just something to get a guy who knows nothing about speeds and feeds up and running. The values still need to be tweaked in my opinion. The formulas for the calculations can also be adjusted more to your liking if you have hours and hours to experiment.

You don't use the same endmill for aluminum as you do for steel, right? I have a library of Niagara A345 uncoated 3 flutes for aluminum, a library of S545 TiAlN coated 5 flutes for steel and Ti, and another library of S335 TiAlN coated 3 flutes with corner radius for steel and Ti. I calculated out all the feeds and speeds from manufacturer recommendations, and now I basically don't have to worry about it. A nice thing about doing it this way is I know what flute lengths and corner radii are standard, and the EDP number comes out on the setup sheet.

another way to use the material library is to set it up with only 1 material, and define that material as Base cutting speed (SFM) of 100.00 and Base feed per tooth of 100.00.

Set all tool and operation types at 100%.

Set Tool Setting as "From Material"

Now when you create a tool, in the fields for "% of matl cutting speed" and "% of matl feed per tooth", you simply enter SFM and FPT values for that tool.

This gives you quick and easy access for entering Feeds and speed as SFM and FPT.