Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

shop running lights out?

bm1983

This can be done, it takes a fair amount of investment(ie, equipment, tooling, fixtures, probing, software), forethought and planning.

One off's can be done, quick turnarounds, small lot's, the only real limitation is your companies commitment to do it.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I don't tap unless there is a reason I cannot threadmill. Most of my customers that run lights out commit good quality workholding, tooling, and resources to the rocess. Like Degmc said, people are more valuable than machinery. Put quality people in a position to succeed, instead of under somebody's thumb where anyone is sure to fail.

It's not the programming system that enables lights out, it's the people that have thought through the processes, figured out what could possibly go wrong and worked around that. Never forget we program "CNC's", NOT "ONC's" (Operator Numerical Control). When running lights out process reliability is more important than cycle time, regardless of if you're making 1 part of a million. So if dropping 10 IPM make the process more stable, do it. Because if NOBODY is in the buliding to see that extra retract, or that lower feed rate yet you have good sellable parts when you return in the morning, did that retract really happen? Or more importantly did it matter?

When I go into shops and I see 20 people standing in front of 20 machines, it turns my stomach. Not because I want to see people unemployed, but because it's inefficient. The goal shoudl be to get a minimum of 1 complete part off per cycle. When I see a 40 x 20 VMC with 1 friggin vise in the middle of it I just want choke somebody. Wel not really, but talk about inefficiency, sheesh. You're just giving away real estate like it's free. A smart person will have as many jobs on a table as they can get on it. They will use as many common tools as possible between the jobs. More importantly, they have a vision for the future. They don't buy another VMC because "it's what they always buy", they buy the machine(s) that make sense. They get away from dedicated tooling, they make things modular, etc...

Ok, I've ranted enough and hopefully you get the idea.

Good Luck all! cheers.gif

quote:

maybe you could share your ideas how how to get all your drilling, tapping, milling, while no one is around

Sure I can share, ya got the checkbook ready ? Seriously tho, that is hard earned knowledge that you will have to pay for, hiring people with the knowledge is the only way your going to get that information. I first got involved in Lights Out back in '94 on multi machine multi pallet horizontal mill cells and it has come a long way since then. Takes alot of forethought and some pretty big bucks to do it on cells. Running lights out on single machines can also be accomplished with the right planning and investment.

let see. first i'll have to turn on the lights. ok here is a starter list.

stable room temp

chilled coolant

spindle cooled

chip conveyor

super filtered coolant

carbide tools for every thing diamond or cbn coat

touch probes

laser toolsetter with tool break detector

coolant level monitors

mist collectors

chip flush with shower

spindle vibration monitor

fixtures the best you can buy or build

tight MC programs

very precice feeds and speeds

tool life management

roll tapping and thread milling

ballanced toolholders

air compressors with backup

time to turn the lights out

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Sure I can share, ya got the checkbook ready ?...

LOL @ Jim

There is a group of companies here in SoCal that get together either on a monthly or quarterly basis. They share knowledge and sometimes they even share work where it makes sense. They call it a "Peer Group". Everybody contributes. No sponges allowed, sponges are promptly shown the door. You may either want to look at getting one started in your area, or look at joining an existing one if there is one. They are not competitors, they each serve different segments of machining. One does large part turning, one does small part castings, one does general machining, a couple others do hydraulic manifolds, one for aerospace and the other for commercial applications. It's a wide variety and they ALL benefit from one another.

well thanks guys for the info.

i have never seen this done before so im not too sure about it. we currently run lights out while cutting our 3-d die work only. this is without tool setters and everything else on 35k chippers list. (just standard tooling)

we are trying to do the same for our 2d but its very difficult, as i only have expirience in one shop. and not sure where to go with it.

quote:

any die shops do this?

We are a small shop and we do it here. I do a tool probe before every tool change to make sure the tool that just ran is still there so the next one dont crash if it has broke. We mostly do aluminum & zinc die cast tooling (H-13) so we have long run times on big inserts that we let run overnight. Even on the smaller stuff, we'll put 6 or 8 parts on a fixture and let em run.

HTH

And another thing...I dont use taps unless I am forced to. Threadmills are the way to go. biggrin.gif

There are certain practices that you should adhere to for the sake of the machine....IE

Turn your rapid down on the machine to like 10% of 20%....before walking out the door....tools that crash at 100% can and will smash bearings...whereas a controlled crash will overload the machine and just error it out if gets into any trouble.

Check....Tooling with inserts....if you have some worn inserts that are in the tool...replace them ...you can always use the slightly worn ones during the day when you are there.

try to avoid HSS....drills cant be helped but make sure they are sharp or sharpened before loading them in the machine

Use your workhorses (dependable tooling)...Just because the Salesman says his new tool will run all day and night doesnt mean it will....new tooling has to be proven out time and time again to get best results.

As its stands....these guys are coming up with great suggestions

wink.gif