Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating turret for simulation

JPensack Acker Drill

I am trying to create a turret for verification purposes in X3 lathe. I have a Solidworks model of my turret and i want to try and put it into mastercam. When I go the my machine definition manager and open the turret box I got to geometry and select solid. It blanks my screen whenever I open the machine def window so how am i supposed to pick my solid. At the top it still says my file name is active, ...turret.mcx, so how can i see it?

quote:

Having never drawn a custom tool for Lathe, would it be possible to include the turret as part of a custom tool profile ?

I have done this and it only shows a 2d profile not a 3d model. Best ways is to manually move your solid of the turret with the tools in it to each position in question. Very Very Very Very Time consuming. Next week when MMT comes out it has all of that in it and all of us who do this type of work will have life a lot easier.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL Yeah right sorry I could not help myself. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif You want some major lathe enhancements I would recommend changing to another CAM system. Sorry I have lost all faith we will see a MMT product in the 1st Decade of this Century. Maybe by 2015 we will have something. Wow 15 years to get something out I am sure they will have a 3 year old kid showing us all how to program as the sales pitch.

I can see the sales pitch now "So easy your 3 year old will help you replace seasoned programmers. "

Haha yea that's true. You would think that they would have something as simple as a turret moving in synch with a basic lathe tool. My reason is because on our Okuma LB470M we have a 15" chuck and on bigger diameter parts when tools are near the center the jaws hit the next tool on the turret. I have a good idea of what I can get away with but still being new to the machine it would be nice to see in verify. Also it has caxis and I program it to do holes and such real close to the chuck in between the jaws, so with a solid of three jaws on the chuck not just a complete rev. of my defined jaws I can get more aggresive with my live tooling between the jaws and just move to a clearance point with I index the caxis.