Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WIRE EDM guys - I need something to clean parts

MILLRUNNER

I have two wire edm machines. Most of the fixtures and tooling that we have is made from stainless. I recently made a fixture out of some tool steel. It is heat treated and ground.

It is very dirty (from being in the wire machine) and I was hoping that maybe you guys could recomend some type of cleaner. I know I could bead blast it, like all the other parts made of tool steel that come out of there, but it is assembled with about 15 parts using bolts and dowels. It would be a hassle to dismantle it it jsut to blast everything.

I have an acid type stuff that I use to clean all the stainless stuff, and it works like a charm. However, on the tool steel it has some sort of reaction and doesn't really work. It smells awful too.

Do you guys know of anything that I could use to clean it without taking it completely apart?

Great products guys. Getting the stuff through our company though is kind of a hassle, so if one of our vendors don't offer it I have to jump through hoops to get it. Is there anything that MSC or J&L might offer that you all know of?

Or anything I can go to walmart or a parts house and get? I don't mind spending a little money out of my own pocket but I'm not gonna call and order somethng and use my cc and all that.

I don't know of anything from MSC or J&l. We use K200 which runs about $800 per gallon or mostly another product called Rydlyme which is alot cheaper. If your looking for something from wal-mart or the grocery store i have used CLR but the machine manufacturers dont recommend using the acid based cleaners because of the effect on the resin and water quality.