Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machininh skin on cast stainless

Bruce Caulley

Ahoy!

I have a job from cast H7A Stainless that has a very hard outer skin.

Tried being conservative with standard Iscar HOF face mill, but am blowing up too many inserts.

Iscar on their way in to have a look, but thought I would ask if anyone has a better method. This part may be on the boundary of using ceramics????

Bruce

Bruce,

Iscar will probably push you to these "HELIDOs"

http://www.iscar.com/Ecat/familyhdr.asp/fn.../lang/EN/type/1

They are similar to "FF" feedmills but better tip life, more edges and similar feeds / speeds , they start to go downwards when machining near walls, good for open cutting of Ti and 15-5 PH and a few other awkward materials

Shallow DOC < 1mm, Hi feed= 1mm per tooth, CS 45mm/min

I like the helido and have one of the new style feedmills, but I think I will just leave these faces un-machined. I was only really doing it to save on balancing further down the track, but if it takes half a day to save a couple of hundred $$ it isn't worth it.

Might get myself prepared next time with some ceramics or some other idea that comes to mind between now and the next batch.

Bruce