Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Create Curve Slice

mcpgmr

Trying to create a section cut thru a imported parasolid using create curve slice using a surface and it's not creating the curves at all. The surface extends beyond the solid in all directions. I allso tried creating the curves using a plane. No luck so far any ideas. I can get the curves I need by turning my parasolid into surfaces and creating the curves by intersecting the surfaces but that's just a P.I.T.A. Any insight would be appreciated. smile.gif

This is strange. I got create curve slice to work with an imported parasolid by doing this... Create Curve Slice, chose the plane by clicking on the plane button, activate solids selection, select body button, select the imported parasolid, then press enter twice. I get a nice clean section cut of the entire model. You guys are telling me to click apply. I don't see an apply button. Where is the apply button? bonk.gif

The apply button appears on the ribbon bar once selection is complete...reading back thru this thread, I think what went wrong initially was not activating solid selection.

try this sequence:

1 - create/curve/slice

2 - activate solid selection

3 - pick the body

4 - end selection (green ball)

5 - click apply

6 - if curves look good, click OK

when in doubt read the text prompts smile.gif

Have been selecting the solids selection button all along. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to select the solid and see it highlight red. Just never hit enter twice to have it successfully create my slice. Still don't get the apply button on the ribbon bar. Something wrong with my install maybe? headscratch.gif

Paul,

After you select your solid, you then must hit the green ball, then the apply button.

Do you see the green check that ends the function?

If you don't see the green check or the blue ball, is your toolbar slid off the side of the screen?

John, I have been activating the solids selection all along. That's what's weird about this problem I'm having. No apply button no matter what. I have the round green button and the green check mark button that says ok when I hover over it with the mouse. I guess the second time I press the enter key is the same as pressing the apply button if I had one to press. banghead.gif

Yes I do. Clicking on the check mark does not complete the task and the blue plus sign button is dimmed. Pressing enter twice is the only thing that completes the task of creating the slice. I don't have X3 here at home so I can't try anything right now but I'll mess with it some more tomorrow. What text comes up when you hover over the green check button? Does it say OK or APPLY?

The Blue Ball with the plus sign is apply, you must hit that before the green check or the functional will not complete.

Now if it's not highlighting I am wondering if your selction is correct, as soon as you select the solid and click the green ball, the blue ball and green check go active immediately

Thanks John, I'll try it again tomorrow. Maybe I just assumed that the apply button was for keeping the current function active like in other functions. I don't use create slice very often. Usually use it to create a stock model for a turned part to use in verify when I do the milling ops on the turned part. Bet I just missed a step. Still got the curves I needed to revolve into a solid and that was my ultimate goal. I could have just asked our solidworks guy to suppress all the mill and hole features on the part and give me a parasolid of that and save myself some grief but I like to build things myself whenever I can. smile.gif