Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mori Seiki NL1500SY, Live Tool, Y-Axis, Sub Spindle

Dave.L

Greetings All,

We are only using MC mill level 1 now for our machining centers. We are considering the lathe seat but we need to handle our Mori with has live tools, Y-Axis and a subspindle (bar feeder too).

I am wondering if any users have this same machine and are using MC. If so, I would appreciate your feedback on MC's ability to handle this machine.

We love the machine but need a to program it with CAM and not Mori CAPPS.

Thanks,

Dave

It is really going to depend on the type of work you are doing. You only have level one now so I take it you are doing sheet metal parts and simple geometry nothing multi-axis? Now you are looking at moving up to is all reality 4 axis and maybe 5 axis with a machine of this capability. So not only will you have to get bumped up to Level 3 you might also want to look at the 5 axis module. Now again really depends on the work. You do not get machine simulation, you do not get NC verification. If it were me I would seriously look at other software for the kind on coin you are going to drop and compare capabilities. Esprit, Partmaker, UG-NX6, would from what I understand be some good ones to look at.

Dealers I am sorry, but you and I both know MMT is just patch work now. Big old rusty ship being held together with chewing gum, duck tape, and rotted out cork. Getting some love, shhhhh I would be happy with a slap to the face at this point at least it would let me know I still in the family. If it were my job on the line and my boss asked me what to do I would have to throw that option out there.

If you stay with Mastercam seriously look at Vericut, IMS Verify, or one James talks about all the time to verify the code off line. We spends sometimes 3 days proving out programs on our Integrex E series. ( A little Birdy told me Predator would have mill turn soon The cheapest solution if is ever comes out)

Yes NC verification programs are not cheap. But look at ti this way. If you only took 4 hours to setup your machine verse 3 days it would save you a boat load of money probably paying for the software. Not crashing the machine and having it down to a week almost paid for the software. Our shop rate is $100hr so that one week would cost our company $32k. huh you ask everyone always forgets the 2 for 1 rule in manufacturing. For every hour you lose on the machine is 2 hours it cost you. The 1st hour and the hour you lost on the next job. Good luck and chose wisely your companies future rests in that decision.

Ron,

The NL is just basic slant bed w/ Y and sub. Mastercam should do fine. Your thinking of the NT multitasking machine. And I share your frustration with MMT. I'm glad when someone brings it up though. Squeeky wheel gets the oil after all.

Mike

Are you in Maruka territory? I would think that they [or your MC reseller] would be able to point you in the direction of someone to talk to about this. Since the Mori Seiki is most likely a Fanuc, or a Mitsubishi that runs like a Fanuc, I think that you should be able to get your hands on a decent post fairly readily

Chris,

I want to be careful and respectful to the forum rules about posts. However, the post experience kind of blows my mind. Our dealer is very good and my contact has done a great job at tuning posts for me for our Mazak mills. However, the out-of-the-box post as originally received was a lot more off than I would have expected. What I mean is, it’s seems like quite a bit of re-inventing the wheel goes on and I don’t understand that (especially with machine and control defs).

My reseller has already told me that we would get a generic turn-mill post and he could tune it for us. Again, I would think that’s already been done by someone so I don’t understand why there is not a better sharing library of posts.

More importantly, I want to be sure that someone with MC has successfully programmed for this specific machine and is very pleased with the results.

Thanks for your reply.

Dave