Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

monday lathe-easy answer

Mr. Dayshift

Morning,

New to lathe programming. What is proper way to process both ends of a 2 axis lathe part in one file.

What is happening now is that when i go to rough side 2 features it will only toolpath the difference in geometry between side 1 and side 2.

Sure this is an easy one, but it's monday.

Thanks.

Stock flip is sweet once you figure it out.

I let it copy all geoemtry to seperate levels.

Keep in mind that the stock outline is controled

by the red arrow..

It helps if you make a seperate toolpath group for the second side.

[ 04-13-2009, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Stock Flip works well as long as you don't edit anything on the first side after you use the stock flip operation; if you change something on side one it seems to screw up the file. I always end up deleting and redoing the stock flip in these instances. if you aren't actually machining both sides of the part in one program I suggest having separate files.

Course the nice thing about X is if you choose the method Chris laid out you no longer have to use 2 files, it can be done in one file using different machines.

So instead of maintaining two files it's just two machine groups.

I always use 2 programs for flipping. Hear me out before you go screaming how stupid I am. We use a naming convention here with our files. We have the name of the Mastercam file the name of the machine the log number (Which is our program log number) then we have the operation number. That way it is real quick to go see what is what and you can go from there.

Chris, you can get a completely verified part if you use the 'outgoing' side one part as stock for side two. We typically draw geometry for each operation to give the operator a sketch of what he is actually supposed to produce, so it is easy to just copy the first side geometry into the side two file and chain it as stock. You could also verify your side one, create an stl, and then use that to verify.

The only time I use Stock Flip is if I am actually turning one side, M00 and flip the part in the jaws, turning the second side; other wise it is always 2 files because of the reasoning that Ron spelled out.

C

Stock flip is useful and works well once you get used to it. I use copy to another level and I dont blank my geometry. I also creat a second toolpath group if I'm doing 2 seperate operations. If I need to make a change I just Move the red arrow below the operation that I am altering, and just regen each operation seperatly. I have had no problems using this method. As far as facing the second side it is so qucik to do a facing toolpath that I dont even worry about copying it.

Here is my 2¢,

Stock Flip is a great function when used properly. I also like the "copy to a level" and not blank. It works great, as long as you don't need to make changes to any of the operations before the stock flip, as others have mentioned.

I'd really like to see some improvement in the "Stock Flip" toolpath operation. Currently the toolpath is broken in the respect that it will not allow you to modify previous operations without forcing you to have to regenerate all the operations (and I don't just mean re-generate, I mean go through and totally redo your stock, it is a royal pain).

So, the solution I suggest is JP's: Use two separate machine definitions in a single MCX file.

This gives you both sides of the part, and two "Stock Setup" pages that are independent. I think it is pretty cumbersome to have to modify your geometry, then open another file and modify it's geometry when you get an engineering revision.

Why not just have one set of geometery for the entire part, then have multiple MD's loaded in your ops manager.

This is exactly what we do. Now I totally believe in personal preference. If you prefer having multiple files with your own naming convention, then that is cool with me.

I still can't see a single valid arguement from all the posts above as to why you would ever want separate MCX files for the same part. (Aside from the aforementioned personal preference.)

You can load as many copies of the same Machine Definition file into your ops manager as you wish. You can also give each machine a unique name (so Ron, your naming convention could still work inside a single MCX file. I'm not trying to get you to change your ways by any means, just pointing out some functionality inside the product for everyone's knowledge).

We actually have a NetHook that runs inside of Mastercam that we use to load and configure MD's when checking out a new job. No, I can't share unfortunately, so please don't ask, thanks.

I think the same thing might be possible with VB, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, just my 2¢,

Colin,

How do you set your stock for your second side? There are alot of parts that I do that it is useful to see where I'm overlapping or for such things as clearance for milling and turning. Or do you just figure that all out inside your head, because most of the time I use this only for graphical representation only. Also, I do agree with you that Stock flip needs improvement, they have the right idea cause the stock recognition is great but I've had some parts where its bitten me in the behind.

quote:

Currently the toolpath is broken in the respect that it will not allow you to modify previous operations without forcing you to have to regenerate all the operations (and I don't just mean re-generate, I mean go through and totally redo your stock, it is a royal pain).

I use stock flip alot, and I do not see this.

J,

When doing it in two separate MD's, loaded into a single file I save an STL of the first part, rotate or mirror it (Xform STL) and then use the "File" option in the Stock Setup of the second Machine group...

Kind of a pain at first, but it goes pretty quickly once you get the hang of it.

You really only need to do this on parts where you want to check the overlap though like you mentioned.

Most of the parts we do this way we just use cylindrical stock for both end and don't worry about visualizing the part complete, but you can if you take the time to use Xform STL...

HTH,

Brian and Colin,

It would probably be helpful if you could take the time to right out your procedure (step by step would be nice) and post it here. I have been frustrated with stock flip so many times I just gave up and do it Chris's using two files.

It would be nice to try again to get this working the way it is meant to be.

It would also be nice if CNC had some good examples on these features.