Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tsugami Mill Turn

M_CODE1

Anyone have any experience with a TMA8 mill turn form Tsugami. We are in the process of looking at one of these. The setup is similar to the setup of a Okuma Multus B300. I am trying to decide whether to program it with MasterCam or look at using our Partmaker software. This would be our first full mill turn. I have been doing 2 axis lathe and 3 axis mill program, so how much of a learning curve do you think there will be? Any suggestions.

TSUGAMI TMA8

Thanks

I do not have experience with this exact machine but as far as programing it with mastercam, you should be set. As long as it isn't a multi turret machine you should be fine. On our single path B axis mill turns MC does great with a dialed in post from In house.

Mike

We have two of them. Since I'm not involved with them I can only repeat what I've heard. We've had a lot of problems with our first one. I think it was their 1st generation. One of the main problems (in the opinion of our maintainace guy) is that they're packing 10 pounds of crap in a 5 gallon bucket. The tool changer assembly is not designed well. This has been reworked/replaced at least three times on our first one. I'm not sure if the second machine's has been replaced. You are also very limited on the tool length. They do seem to be accurate and if your parts fit you will get good prodution out of them. I would be surprised if we got another one. We've brought in a little Mori three axis (I heard as an experiment) and that rocks. I also heard we could have gotten the Mori millturn for 50k more. IMO (and our maintainance guy's) that would have been a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone send me a sample mill turn program that would show me some examples of how some of the milling is done on a mill turn. We took a look at a couple TMA8's in Warsaw IN. yesterday. They looked like a solid machine.

When programing a mill/turn to you usually use the C-Axis milling features or the regualar machine toolpaths?

Is there any good online training for Mill/Turns

Thanks

quote:

When programing a mill/turn to you usually use the C-Axis milling features or the regualar machine toolpaths?

That is really up to the parts, the programmer, and the reach of the tooling you are using. There are things that are only able to be done with standard milling. The C axis milling is along the lines of 4th axis programming. Where the spindle would not have B axis moving. The machines that have fixed C axis at 90 deg or 0 deg is where C axis milling really is the best choice. Now saying that is not that you can not use C axis milling, I just like programming all my milling operations the same way and if there is going to be anywhere in the program where B moves to anything other B0 or B90 then C axis milling gets thrown out. I just program my milling operations on the mill turn as standard milling operations and if I am going to be machining moving the C axis I just use Axis sub.

HTH

Wel the decision is going to be made this afternoon between the Tsugami TMA8 or a Okuma Multus B300. I know there are a lot of people on here that have a Multus machine. All of you pros and cons of the machine are appericated.

-Any options that are nessary or options you wish you would of got?

-How many tools does yours hold?

-Accuracy of machine? what tolerance do you hold consistancy?

-If the head is crashed, what does it take to realign

-Kennametal KM 40 vs Sandvil Capto tool holders

-Lns Sprint 565 VS FMB Turbo 5/65 barfeeder

-Does anyone use the collision Avoidance system?

is it user friendly?

Thanks

We have the Sub-spindle,.00001 option,500 offsets, 10,000 rpm live tooling spindle. Thats all I can think of for options.

Capto tooling

Holds .0003 (after the X axis ballscrew was replaced)

I have the CAS on but only the chucks are described, I never bothered to do the tools.

My spindle got knocked out of alignment last week and to realign it took 30min . But then I noticed the lathe tools at the index position were slightly out, so tommorow they are gonna fix that.

Multus is a bigger machine so it can handle a wider variety of parts. Tsugami might be easier to work in. Tsugami has a Fanuc control which is more flexable. I would go capto over KM. Larger variety of tooling available and a more rigid system. Both those are good bar feeds. Have you looked at barloaders? Cheaper and a lot faster to set up. You have more reminent but with the parts these machines make it's not usually an issue.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...