Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Def - update local copy

Tom Anderson

There is a 3rd party utility that will do this for you. It was written by Takashi Sato of AI Solutions. Do a search on here for 'reload machine definition' and you should find it... I think it was called 'swap machines' or something like that.

You still have to press a button, it won't do any kind of batch conversion, but at least you don't have to open the Machine Group Properties dialog box...

HTH,

Thanks Colin. I'll give that a try.

As we look at the bigger picture of maintaining data viabilty here, knowing that things will change going forward(newer versions, new features, methodology changes effecting the Mdef, control or post), we realize this will be a challenge. You guys may have the same issues, with a lot of programmers & files.

We were thinking of floating an enhancement idea to have Mastercam be able to do this:

- A "Check for MDef update" option added to the config settings

- when you open a file, Mastercam checks to see if there is a disk copy Mdef newer(updated) than the local copy

-Mcam then asks you if you want to update the local copy with the newer disk copy.(Yes/No)

Thoughts??

quote:

Thoughts??

So many installation anomalies, migration is for the most part useless and you want to suggest they look at existing files and start replacing things.

I say no way, I'll do it myself thanks. after all the ONLY time it matters is IF the file is reopened, it takes what 3 seconds at the time of opening.

Oh the headaches, I can just imagine them now

Sorry Chip, I'm not sure how installation anomalies and migration uselessness relate to this? Could you explain.

I am only suggesting and "option" for Mcam to "check and ask", not to replace automatically. You could turn the option off and no check would be done, or say No when asked if it should replace.

I guess each shop is different. For us it is definitely WHEN, not IF, the file is reopened.

3 seconds? Could a programmer of any skill level (1) Check the date of the file just opened. (2) Check the date of the current Mdef disk copy. (3) Replace the Mdef if necessary, in 3 seconds?

quote:

3 seconds? Could a programmer of any skill level (1) Check the date of the file just opened. (2) Check the date of the current Mdef disk copy. (3) Replace the Mdef if necessary, in 3 seconds?

OK, you took a me "a little" to literal

It's quick.

Why even check though? When in doubt replace it.

As far as the installation and migration go, this forum is littered with people who have had nothing but problems. Hell, to read it some of the longtime power users won't even use it because of the issues.

Don't shoot the messenger wink.gif

[ 04-20-2009, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: chipmagnet ]

Oh I'm not shootin anybody, Chip. But, I’m also not looking for a figurative solution, so literal suggestions would be more helpful. Since you mentioned it, 3 seconds is probably about what it would take, if Mcam automatically checked for newer Mdef at file open, and then asked you if I want to replace it, choose YES/NO, done, one click. Thanks for pointing that out. cheers.gif

You still didn’t explain how installs and migrations relate to this topic, so I’m guessing its part of your general frustration with things Mcam that don’t work the way you want. That’s cool, we all have those. All the more reason you should join the push to get the right tools, working correctly, to allow us to easily migrate forward.

• 8 months later...