Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HAAS SL-40L

DavidB

HAAS SL-40L CNC Turning Center complete with

standard and optional accessories listed below:

Capacity: (Swing 1016mm) 648mm x 2032mm

40-hp, 2400 rpm, 2-Speed Gear Box, 10 Station Bolt-On Turret, Rigid Tapping, Fully

Programmable Hydraulic Tailstock (centre not included),

15” Colour LCD Screen, USB

Port, 1 Mb Standard Memory, ETP40 (Extended Tool Pocket allowing 838mm long Boring

Bars, Drills etc.)

16Mb Memory in lieu of 1Mb

ENET/HD, Ethernet/40Gb Hard Drive

MACROS, Macros

RJH-C, Remote Jog Handle with Colour Display

SO, Spindle Orientation

LCC5, Programmable Belt Type Chip Conveyor

TPS, Lathe Tool Presetter

SRP-2, Steady Rest Provision

LT4, Live Tooling, C-Axis (includes one piece each Axial & Radial Mill/Drill Holder)

VBT-2, 12 Station Hybrid Turret 6BOT/6VDI

AVHT30P, Tool Holder Kit (includes additional one piece each Axial & Radial Mill/Drill Holder)

BAR2005B, Haas Servo Bar Feed System to suit SL-20 with 7K Spindle

(Includes bar feed interface & spindle liners)

Programmable Steady Rest SMW SLU-3.2

Optional Equipment

LPRO-R, Renishaw Work Gauging Probe (includes PROMAC & 25mm sleeve)

XP40, Extra Performance 55HP Spindle Motor, 12Hp Z-Axis Moto

EXTRN480B, External Transformer (required for XP40 option)

What are HAAS machines like I personally have never worked on one.

My buddy has a couple of Haas lathes, the biggest being an SL-30, and I have run them while moonlighting in his shop when he was first getting started. The machines are OK, not great, but OK, and are a pretty good value for the money. I think the power ratings are inflated, like all of Haas' products are, but spindle horsepower is not typically a limiting factor in turning. The one thing that I found odd about the SL-30 was that the turret and the spindle really aren't as big as I have come to expect in a machine that size, so I wonder about the machine's rigidity for heavy work. I don't know what the SL-40 looks like, but I am sure it isn't much different. If you have the money, I'd buy an Okuma, but if you have Haas money and are realistic about what you're going to get, I don't think you'd be unhappy with the machine.

C

Dave,

That big machine of ours that you saw is an Ecoca. I'll find out in the morning who the rep in Melbourne is. It hasn't really missed a beat yet, and if you want they can put an M code in to switch from wye to delta wiring so you get two different torque graphs.

Cheaper than a Haas too, and is all Fanuc gubbins.

Bruce

I also love the control over the fanuc. I have a lot of experience on an SL-20 and we ran a lot of aluminum, some mild steels and a bit of Stainless. As mentioned before rigidity is not as good as other machines we have (mazaks) but that's not a fair comparison if you consider the cost. We can typically make accomdations by making lighter cuts or tooling changes. The Haas "is what it is", but I too consider it a good value for the money. No regrets here.

Yikes! That's around 285lb a pop by my calculations; the physical size of the spindle starts to come into play with something like that when you're talking about longevity. Good thing you have the upgraded Z-axis motor, sounds like you're going to need it.

C