Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High speed toolpath bug

Zoober

Ran into a problem with Surface High Speed (rest roughing) violating all surfaces and cutting my part in half. eek.gif

Actually, I caught it in verify, so no parts were harmed in the making of this bug.

I don't know if this affects all HSM toolpaths, and when, but I could make it happen or not any time I wanted. I guess CNC could too, because it was logged as cnc00053697.

Here is a snippet of the email I sent to QC:

quote:

I am attaching a file that I ran into a problem with surfaces being violated.

This can be replicated in the following manner:

In OP 4 (rest roughing), in linking parameters, if vertical arc entry and exit are set to 0.0, there are no violations.

If arc entry and exit are set to .03, then at the end of the cycle, it cuts across the part before retracting, violating a number of surfaces.

I can make this occur every time.

I do a lot of this HST stuff, and this is the first time I have run into it. And it only happened when I changed a containment boundary, so I don't know how common it will be, but if you are violating surfaces, check your arc entry/exit settings.

quote:

it was logged as cnc00053697.

I don't think that this is going to be validated as a bug. I believe the problem has to do with two settings.

The main problem has to do with the depth limits. With the depth limits set lower than the top of the part, Mastercam isn't seeing above the top Z hieght setting. So the retract isn't going high enough to clear the part.

If the retracts are set to "Full vertical retract" then there is no gouge.

The "Min vertical retracts" can be used but then the "use z depth limits" needs to be set to the top of the part (2.602).

One other thing to watch out for is the 'Output feed move" is un-checked. This can cause you problems if your machine "dog legs".

quote:

I don't think that this is going to be validated as a bug.

If it violates surfaces that you have selected, drive or check, then it is a obvious bug to me. I dont understand why it couldnt go over the depth limits on a "non- cutting" move.

Mark what about this has it been looked at?

quote:

Logged as defect # CNC 00039830.

Let’s see what the developer has to say.

This was the reply I got from CNC regarding HS rest roughing gouges!!

Also this from CNC.

quote:

This is the same problem I mentioned yesterday with the New Arc Filter. We are working on these issues. Thanks again, this is really helpful in debugging the problems with it.

quote:

The bug has been logged as cnc00039820.

quote:

Mark what about this has it been looked at?

It was brought to the programmers attention but hasn't been worked on yet.

I was mistaken on the Z height setting. If you have .200 stock on the part (with a .100 clearance setting) and you limit you're Z height lower than the top of the part, the toolpath won't see the .200 stock that is about the Z height setting and could rapid through some material.

Mastercam should never go through the surface model, which was what was happening to this part.

Mark I have more HS rest gouges programmed today with X3 MU1.

hsrestgouge.jpg

Sent to QC.

This is a major concern how can a toolpath that you guys knows gouges not have been looked at yet?

When will it be looked at?

[ 06-01-2009, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: DavidB@Rosebank-Engineering ]

John thats not the answer!

I've been sending in HS rest roughing gouges in to QC since 2008 and nothing has been done about it!

What will it take to get this fixed?

A toolpath that gouges should be priority number 1 not improving the level manager!

Yeh our maintanence is a waste of money!

quote:

let me know how that X3 MU1 bug comes along.

Even you know it wont get look at just like I do.

So whats the point of sending stuff in to QC.

I'm glad your a happy customer using software that causes gouges in your parts.