Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 smoothing

Cuda84

Yesterday I ran a mold cavity with the smoothing option set to best finish. Mold turned out great could not get a no polish finish with this machine without it.

Today when I set to best finish and close the form it reverts back to better. It will not stay on best finish. Is there something I am missing? confused.gif

Cuda, Instead of moving the vertical "surface quality" sliding bar to "best", move the horizontal "smoothing tolerance" sliding bar till the vertical sliding bar moves to "best". Seems to stick. Don't know it doesn't stick moving the vertical bar.

I restarted X4 several times yesterday and the parameters always stuck. I shut down the pc overnight and restarted this morning and noticed that the parameters won't stick anymore unless I make the adjustment as described above in this thread.

Why can I not find these settings? headscratch.gif

I do not see the preferences box at all. frown.gif

I click on the 'Yes, I want to activate it' box and nothing happens. I looked in the help file and that shows the preferences box, but I am not seeing a preferences box.

headscratch.gif

Am I looking in the wrong place? confused.gif

First,you will have to open a fresh MC 4 in design, making sure you do not have a machine type active. Go to settings/control def/ then look in the control topics (on the left)you will see operations defaults click that metric or inch (what ever you are using)/go to 3d surface high speed and hit the plus to get the parameters and open the parameters. Go down to arc filter/ tolerance and set the tol. and surface to were you want. Hit the green check twice, but you have to make sure you save it using the save default settings first then exit out of there.

Thank's all for responding.

Peon, I tried that horazontal slider and that made it stick.

I went back to the file that I ran yesterday to check and see if it really stuck, and it seems that when I open that dialog box it jumps to the better position. If I look at the numbers below the horazontal slider they are what they should be for the best position, so it seems to be sticking until I reopen the dialog box. headscratch.gif These files were all made in X3 and modified in X4 because the machine that automatically gives a great finish is down. I will just have to see what happens with a new X4 file.

quote:

They are in the surfacing toolpaths, not the 2d toolpaths

Yes, I realize that.

I open surface > finish> parallel, and I get the 'New 3D Advanced Toolpath Refinement' window.

The choices are

*Yes, I want to activate it. Show this dialog again.

*I've tried this feature and want to keep it. Don't show this dialog again.

*Supress this feature. Do not show this dialog again.

There is nothing else there.

No slide bars.

I click on 'Yes...' and the green check box, and it takes me to the surface parameters page. No slide bars anywhere.

headscratch.gif