Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

single involute gear cutter

HEAVY METAL

I got job that requires a bevel and pinion gear to be cut. I bought the correct gear cuttter and I am going to attempt to do this on the cnc mill. Fron the info that I have gathered on the internet and the handbook I know this is not going to be a perfect gear tooth. I am going to take a cut down the middle of each tooth then move the cutter up and and down to bring the tooth thickness. does any one have a opinion if this is the right way.

Thanks heavy

Heavy,

I thought if you got the right cutter, that you should be able to move it in on the depth to create the correct tooth size. Moving it up and down would create an incorrect form at the bottom of the tooth, I would think. We looked into milling a bevel one time. Our main gear cutting vendor (who does not cut bevels in house), told us to send it out. They had tried doing it and stopped trying. I guess with bevels you need a special machine to inspect the gears. With the standard involute splines you can check over wires, but you can't do that with bevels. Bevels are a specialty. There are only 2 or 3 Gear cutters in the Chicago area that can cut bevels (that I know of).

Next time, don't buy the cutter either. Rent it from these guys:

Ash Gear

cheers.gif

HELLO HEAVY METAL-- THAT IS ALL I LISTEN TO,BUT THAT IS BESIDE THE POINT. MY NAME IS KEVIN AND I WORK AT TRACEY GEAR IN PAWTUCKET RI ..WE CUT BEVEL GEARS REGULARLY..THE BEST WAY IS WITH A GLEASON GEAR SHAPER ,BUT IN SPECIAL CASES I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CREATE BEVEL GEARS ON MASTERCAM .YOU WOULD NEED AT LEAST MILL LEVEL 3 TO DO SO .BUT IT IS VERY TIME CONSUMING. IF IT IS A STANDARD BEVEL CALL TRACEY GEAR AT 1-401-725-8394 AND TALK TO STEVE OR DOUG TRACEY AND THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP. THANK YOU