Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling 316 Stainless

astrocncdept

I need to drill .118 Diameter holes in a welded 316 disc. There are 1800 holes. The company used to use cobalt drills but it takes forever. Like 24hrs for one part. I have 3 pcs to make this time. I have been trying to ATI Stellram Hardcore drills...running at 180SFM and a chip load of .002, but drill only holds up for 30-100 holes. Ive used the Hardcore drills in Inconel and they cut great. Any suggestions. I can't seem to get a drill to really break a chip, wants to stay stringy.

I have been using Ghuring Series 5514 drills with FIREX coating in 304 lately. If I wanted to get any substantial tool life I had to cut the Ghuring feeds and speed in half which was still pretty fast. I also found that a G73 chip breaking cycle worked better than G83 or G81. Next time I run the same job I am going to have a Ghuring rep come out and supply the drills because I broke several after they assured me their feeds and speeds would work. I'm am by no means putting down Ghuring, their drills work better than any others I have found. I just think that some of their reccomended feeds and speeds may not be condusive to long tool life. You may have to slow things down a little in 316 if you want longer tool life. Another thing you might want to consider is having several tool holders with the same size drill in the turret. For example T1 thru T5. Then have each drill do X amount of holes and change tools and pick up where you left off until you get all 1800 done.

We had a 17-4 H1150 job for awhile that I ran a Guhring 5515 Firex-coated Carbide High-Performance jobber drill in, and it drilled that stuff like it was Aluminum. 1800 holes is probably pushing it for one drill if you plan to use catalog speeds and feeds, but if you put [2] drills in there you'd be fine, I think. Guhring's Hi-Perf drills are really great performers for us, we use them in many applications; expensive tools but the material removal rate is about 8X that of a solid carbide general purpose drill in many cases, probably 16-20X the drills you're using now.

C