Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mazak vs mori seiki

malibu

Nakamura nx has a real fanuc 31i where as Mori has the crapps interface on top if 31i to complicate things. Mori NT is a true Y machine where as the Integrex mark series and nokamura has double slant Y which limits your travels severely. The e-series integrex is true Y but those start at a 12" chuck machine. Kinda big. The new mori CrappsIV control is Windows based (has own pros and cons) but it comes with Esprit in it and an off line seat. Esprit looks to handle multiple turrets a lot better than MC at the moment. I think the mori NT is a better machine if your doing mill type parts through the spindle and need real Y axis. What type of parts are you doin?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input .We run alot of proto stuff

with a mix of small run production.You answered

his question on the type of machine.I think

we are going with a mori nl2500y/700 they are all

priced very low with all the discounts.

Sergio

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Esprit looks to handle multiple turrets a lot better than MC at the moment...

... and for the forseeable future as best as I can tell from what CNC has said - which is nothing.

hi Greg,

I wish there where more choices,

manager is kind of sold to mori.

hi Kyle,

do you use mastercam x4 to program your lathe?

if yes, is it reliable?

mazak and mastercam not a good pair some one told manager.

I don't have much experience on lathe programing

so I will be posting lots of questions.

thank you all !!!

quote:

mazak and mastercam not a good pair some one told manager.

Well tell them that person was given the wrong information. The Mazak is the better choice because routine things can be given to a good set-up guy to do using the Mazatrol side of the machine. Not sure if the Mori can make its own programs on the control to bore and mill soft jaws. The Mazak can. So with any CAM program I would choose the Mazak over the Mori to make my shop more productive and not limit it by always having to rely on a programmer to do everyday things the Mazak will allow you to do.

Just my opinion.

Mori, Mori, Mori and if the Mori costs more, Get the Mori!!

We have Mazak and Mori, Mazak is good (better at mills) but can't compare to Mori.

We have an NL1500SY, AWESOME machine. However, don't get the live tools from Mori they burn out quick (Mori does not make them) Get MT live tools sold thru MD in MI.

Well we are going down the same road, machine to machine with the same travels The Mazak is about 45% cheaper. I program our E series Mazak Integrex with Mastercam with no problems. The ability to set-up and have guys keep the machine running on their own and feel like part of the solution can not be measured.

Mori's are great machines not knocking them, but 45% of almost $$$$$$ can buy a lot of needed tooling.

Both are good machines but the Mori is better. Stay away from Mazatrol. Altough it can do a couple of minor machining things, when it comes to machining, you have to program it(cad/cam) and then the fight began!....LOL! I have programmed tons of both and while I DO like Mazak's, it is not near the machine the Mori is because Mori's are designed as mill turns not just an effort to put two different types of machines together. Better finishes, faster cutting feeds. That's the reason it's cheaper. Plus Mori started all of this many, many years ago.

As far as software, forget Mcam. Esprit does it and does it right and still, as far as I know, it's the only software that does. It is great for 5 axis and 3d as well. It takes some UNBIASED learning to wrap your head around it, but with no crashing, locking up, stable tool patterns that work EVERYTIME, handling of Solids properly. It is the combination with the Mori's or even Mazak.

If you are only programing for single turret, MC works fine. Multiple turrets gets pretty tricky, not to mention big bucks if you want to simulate it. Also, mori NL is a box way machine. Big difference from guides for rigidity when turning heavy stuff.

Mike

quote:

Both are good machines but the Mori is better. Stay away from Mazatrol. Altough it can do a couple of minor machining things, when it comes to machining, you have to program it(cad/cam) and then the fight began!....LOL! I have programmed tons of both and while I DO like Mazak's, it is not near the machine the Mori is because Mori's are designed as mill turns not just an effort to put two different types of machines together.

Couple things here: I've seen some shockingly complex parts programmed with Mazatrol, on single turret Y axis lathes, Multiplexes, and Integrexes. I know a shop right down the street from me with a dozen Mazaks running 24/7 programmed only in Mazatrol. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Mazatrol is a better solution than Mastercam when it comes to an Integrex/NT/Multus sytle multitasking machine with a lower turret....as long as you're not doing 3D contouring. It's a VERY capable system in the right hands. A Mazak will accept G code programs just like a Mori. There's no difference there. As far as the Mori being "designed as a mill turn"....both the NL and QTN machines use compound slides for the Y axis. The Mori does have the bitchin' direct drive built-in-motor-turret though, which is pretty slick.

quote:

both the NL and QTN machines use compound slides for the Y axis.

We have an NL and a QTN. ZERO comparison. Not knocking Mazak but it's nothing like a Mori. Mazak's bed is horizontal (Z-Axis) Mori's bed (casting) is built on the slant angle and many great engineering reasons to do this. Look under the sheetmetal and you we see many differences.

Hi Malibu,

Yes I do use Mastercam to program our NL, however most of our stuff can be done at the control with the conversational side. You can bore jaws straight from the control, pretty easy. I have never used a Mazak so I can't compare, but I can say that since we have an MT2000 with lower turret,in-machine parts catcher, etc., Mori learned a lot of lessons in the mill-turn arena. The NT machine is bad @ss!

And since we are talking about it, are you guys completely opposed to a Multus or Macturn?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hitachi is no longer in business.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mori bought Hitachi

... to kill it.

There, fissed.