Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

trouble with dxf

perseid88

I have some pretty simple dxf files from a customer that don't seem to open properly in MC X4.

I can open them with other software and re-export them as another dxf file and then they open fine.

I have this problem with both XP and Vista on different computers and different installations of MC.

For some reason I can't get into the ftp site to leave a copy of the file either by logging in or anonymously.

perseid88,

I'd be happy to take a look at the DXF file(s).

One thing I can think of right off the bat is that it's only 'paper space' entities and no 'model space' entities. By default, we blank 'paper space' entities since we assume that there are some model entities and it would look like a mess if they ended up on top of each other.

You can uncheck the 'blank paper space entities' checkbox in File/Open/Options/Masking when opening the file or in Config/Converters to change it for good.

Or after opening one of these DXFs, go to Screen/Unblank/All Entities.

I tried opening this DXF file in AutoCAD and it’s stored in the AutoCAD 2010 format - ACAD 2009 gives me an unknown version error, but ACAD 2010 reads it in.

We still don’t support import of AutoCAD 2010 data in Mastercam. We rely on a third-party to provide us with libraries for parsing the AutoCAD format files and they have still not officially released their ACAD 2010 support. I was hoping this could be accomplished in our soon-to-be-released Mastercam X4 Maintenance Update, but it doesn’t look like they’ll make it. We’ll have to release a patch when we are able to support ACAD 2010.

Your choices, until then, are to continue using SigmaNest or to ask your customer to put the files out to an earlier version format.

• 1 month later...

We're going to be putting out an update to X4 Mu1 in the very near future and this update will include support for ACAD 2010, SolidWorks 2010, Wildfire 5 as well as fixes and tweaks to just about all the CAD file importers.

McamNut...our V7 DXF reader was incredibly crude and barely supported most DXF entities. It was better in some ways in the way that it could handle badly formatted DXF files. That same functionality still exists in the DXFRescuer C-hook which is a last resort when our usual File/Open can't handle a DXF file because of the way the data is formatted.

Of course, I'd rather take a look at the problematic DXFs that you've encountered and see if there's anything we can do to improve File/Open.