Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids to Surfaces

Kevin Goddard

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Usually to break a surface, I'll create a duplicate of the surface to be broken, then create a curve to break the suface to, then trim one half, then the other half. But Moldplus does a much better job of this and it's more efficient.

JM2C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You'll beed to create a boundary that extends past both ends of a/the surface then you can do Modify, Trim, Surface, to Curve, The Curve will be your chain. Pick your surface(s) then click on the side you want to KEEP, then Do It.

Kevin,

To "break" a surface into two separate surfaces using an imaginary "break" line, try the Split command from the Modify-Trim-Surface menu. Split is a real quick way to get two surfaces from one long one. You can split it going either the long way or the across way of the surface. Move the base of the arrow to an approximate center point on the surface and click "Flip" if the direction of cut (along or across surface) is not the desired direction. I do this all the time when I need to trim a flat top surface that is on both sides of an intersecting surface. HTH biggrin.gif

Kevin,

Glad I could help. I've always admired the simpler, less well-known aspects of Mastercam. cheers.gif

James,

"Learn something new every day". That's a motto I try to live by but take one step further. Teach something new to someone every day. In teaching, we learn. Maybe "Ask Jeeves" knows where the "fishing" quote comes from. cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ask Jeeves is where I found the quote. I went to about 10 sites with the quote but could not find out who to give props to. Alas I did pass it on though to one person. In a few weeks I'll be passing it on to 20 people. I do learn something new every day. Life would be way too boring to just sit back and say "I know enough already".

Thanks again,

James