Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Small Drill Alum

We have not done a whole lot of small driling in Alum. We inherited a job which has 400 .010 hole thru a .060 wall. This will be done on 50 parts.

We also inhertited there drills. Drill Bit City(never heard of them) No tech help on site.

Need recommendations for Speeds and Feeds .

Pecking of how much etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Small holes in allum. cam sometimes be a little tricky. You are drilling a hole @ 6 X D. which can get you into trouble. One of the best tools I have found for this is from a company called Harvey Tools. Tool#20100. It's a micro grain carbide mini drill. It should do you fine job without pecking (just be sure to keep the R's up).They also come @ a good price too.

6XD isn't much for a twist drill. I wouldn't worry about that. I used to make vacuum chucks and we did just that. Repetitive .01 dia holes. We used to drill through thicker than .06 too. We had to go through 1/4 thick 6061. I only had a limit of 15000 RPM so I ran it at that with .0004/rev and .01 pecks, not full retract. I believe there was about 40 holes per c/bore and 6 c/bores so 200 holes per part and the drill ran fine. Problem is I don't remember what type bit we used frown.gif Just make sure the drill is running true, otherwise it will break.