Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Vid card 9800gt

MotorCityMinion

Version X (With the last updates)

Question: Can anybody tell me how/what to tweak in the Nvidia control panel to get some decent performance out of this card with MC?

Just installed a new power supply and A 9800gt.

Dumped all the old drivers, removed references from the REG, ran Driver sweep in safe mode then installed latest drivers. Verify now sucks.

Disabled PhysX in the control panel, no difference. I don't know if MC can even utilise this feature.

Disabled front buffer, works better, but still sucks.

Disabled Hardware acceleration, enabled Front buffer, Verify now functions OK but backplot speed seems to have taken a hit.

My 5 year old Quadro 550 worked good with MC, now this. Thanks in advance, I'll fish around in the forums and see if I can find some tips in the meantime.

Update:

I've created a Mastercam.exe setting in the Nvidia control panel and played with it some. Settings tweaked are as follows:

Anisotropic filtering changed to off.

Conformant texture clamp set to "Use OpenGL specification". (was set at "Use Hardware")

Texture filtering changed to On (was set at "use global filtering off).

Texture Filtering quality set to "High" (was set at "Quality").

Texture Filtering - Trlinear optimization set to "Off" (was set to"On").

Vertical Sync set to "Force Off" (was set to"Let the 3D app decide").

In MC: Hardware acceleration ENABELED, Front buffer on or off, no difference.

Backplot went from 50% CPU usage with Hardware acceleration disabled to less than 7% with it enabled. Dialog boxes no longer stagger or make trails.

Verify: With Quality set at 1 notch below max, it moves pretty good and stays Solid. As soon as I Zoom or Rotate it gets corrupted but hitting Pause, then start after a zoom or rotate will make the quality appear again. This I can live with as the speed and quality are good. I'll go back to the default settings in the Nvidia control panel and reset the defaults then retest MC with the verify quality setting at 1 notch below max. All the tweaking in the Nvidia control panel may have been just smoke. We'll see, I'll post results later.

Just retested with Nvidia settings at default. With acceleration enabled, Backplot ran at 25 to 33% CPU usage vrs 7% for the tweaked Nvidia settings. No difference Verify. So yes, the Tweaks do help with backplot. Why? IDK, they just do.

I just tried the tweaks without any gain. The backplot on my part remained within the 25% - 33% that you reported with the old settings. I also benchmarked verify on a fairly simple trode that is picking down to a 1/32" BNEM. They both benchmarked within a second of one another. But I'm certainly happy that it is working for you Motor. smile.gif

Da beer looks soooo good. The part I tested with was a large mixer paddle, Solid, with a scallop toolpath that was a decent size. Your card and that Monster PC are faster than mine. I'm using a duel core 6400, 3gb ram, standard 7200 rpm sata drive, XP32 almost naked (25 apps after boot). I also checked the CPU usage while no other apps were running. Maybe X4 or something else is taxing things some?

I'll mess with the settings some in the future to see if I can get the verify to stay solid when panning or rotating.

Bogusmill posted a link in another post related to this. If your going to play with the settings I messed with above, be sure to read the tweak guide, specifically this page, (http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html) as turning something on or off affects the other settings as well and can actually make things worse, fast. You can always get back to square one by restoring defaults.

Found the problem, need a solution now.

Solidworks 2009 sp3. I removed 2008 on a different machine, installed 2009 sp3 and it some how corrupts MC's graphics capabilities, perhaps some other apps as well. Now this is a totally different machine with different vidcard and drivers. Deleted entities and surfaces in MC remain ghosted after deletion, Surface trimming arrows used for selecting edges blink and hop around. Verify suxs. Glad this isn't a MC or Nvidia driver issue. When / if I find a solution, I'll repost it here.