Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PCAnywhere

Matthew

I have recently put a laptop (Compaq P166, 96MB RAM, 2GB HD, WIn98) by the machine. My intent for this computer was to just be able to send programs to the machine, and save me having to run upstairs all the time. (It is networked to the computer upstairs, 10/100, PIII 1000, 256mb ram, Win 2000, Oxygen VX1). One other possibility that crossed my mind was to use PCAnywhere.

My Questions:

1. Will PCAnywhere efficiently let me run mastercam on my main PC through the laptop?

2. Would the performance be acceptable? Not for doing the initial programming, but for small edits, posting, that kind of stuff?

3. Would I be able to dynamically rotate the part? Do you think it would be choppy?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank-you.

quote:

1. Will PCAnywhere efficiently let me run mastercam on my main PC through the laptop?

The P3 1GHz will be fine. The P 166MHz will not.

quote:

2. Would the performance be acceptable? Not for doing the initial programming, but for small edits, posting, that kind of stuff?

pcAnywhere performance comes down to the speed of the LAN connection, CPU and video card.

quote:

3. Would I be able to dynamically rotate the part? Do you think it would be choppy?

My setup and results with pcAnywhere 10.5 running Mastercam on my home computer in Kitchener and controlling it from my work computer in Cambridge:

Home PC - P3 800MHz, 768MB RAM, 128MB GeForce4 Ti 4400, Internet connection via Rogers HiSpeed

Work PC - Celeron 700 MHz, 256MB RAM, 16MB Matrox Millenium G400, Internet connection via fast xDSL to T1 backbone 20 feet away

There is about a half-second lag in between mouse clicks and the appropriate results. Rotating a shaded part is possible, but not perfectly smooth if rotated in a "fast" manner.

Hope this helps wink.gif

Another reason I have put a computer by the machine is so I can access all the .DOC setup sheets, and I can open up the .DWG files that the customers send me, also I am cutting out all the paper I used to print out (3-4 pages for the setup sheet, 1 page for the drawing, multiply that by 10 different parts, and there is 50 pieces of paper).

I was just hoping I could take it a step further, and cut out the small trips upstairs for the minor editing. I know I could get a better computer by the machine, and have Mastercam there instead, but I prefer to sit in a quieter room when doing the main programming.

I looked into getting an evaluation copy of PCAnywhere from symantec's website to see how it performed but it looks like they've cut it out except for paying $20-$30 for a 30 day temporary licence.

I tried RemotelyAnywhere, and it looks like it might do the job. Thank-you.

I also tried the HTML setup sheets. While I would like to use it, it doesn't seem to work with any spaces in the filename (which most of my files and directories have spaces in them). So I would have to start using an '_' instead I suppose. Also, I am using V8.1.1 and after reading the readme files for V8 and V9 html setup sheet it looks like that was an option added to V9.

Keep in mind that Remotely Anywhere uses a Java applet to handle the interface to the host computer. Apps that run on a virtual machine, like Java, will run slower than apps that have compiled to machine code (Java compiles to byte code). You may want to be certain that Remotely Anywhere will perform well with graphic intensive apps like Mastercam before purchasing it.

Matthew,

I have MC on my office computer and do all my programming there. I then transfer my completed program to the network (this gives the operators access only to completed jobs). I then have an old computer sitting by the machine with PCanywhere and Word on it (that's about it!). The operator sends the required job to the Heian using PCanywhere. If I need to edit G-Code, I just open the job in Word and make the changes. If major changes are needed, I have to do it in my office, but 98% of edits are just minor.

I also have email capabilities at the old computer so I can email schedule changes or special notes to the operators. This, along with good communication with the operators, has worked well for many years. I had to find a way to avoid running up stairs and about 200 yards everytime I needed a program!!

Have fun.

That is basically what I am doing now.

I have abandoned the PcAnywhere/Remotelyanywhere choices. They seem to be a bit slow, and it is quicker to run upstairs and make the changes than to wait for it. Also, there are graphic issues on the laptop (My MC work area disappears). For now, I have started using the HTML setup sheets, and (when I get another cable made up), be able to send the NC files from the computer by the machine. I am not concerned about unfinished jobs, because I am the only one setting the machine anyways.

Thank-you everybody for the input.