Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helix bore tooling question

Greg_J

I'm looking to helix bore a hole 16 inches deep and between 4 inches to 7 inches in diameter. Do you guys have any tooling preferences or a tooling system that you use? If so please tell and post a link if you can.

On another machine I use to run we would use a bolt on holder and we could mill 48 inches deep but the machine I'm on doesn't have a bolt hole pattern on the spindle, this machine has a 50 taper.

I'm also looking for a broaching tool to go that deep as well, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

smile.gif

I used a SECO 2.5 Dia Highfeed mill to helical bore a 4.5 Dia, 14 inches deep in two places per part. ONE edge of the insert was good enough for BOTH bores. Chip evacuation is important but flood coolant on our horizontal was enough to get the job done. This was a production job on 30 pieces and it worked beautifully however it sounded like all H&11. I will try to find the specific insert I used.

Sounds good Dave.

In the past we would buy or make an extension to fit in to a 2" holder. We would get a 3 flute 2" weld-on tool that had a 1.25 shank and as long as the extension was that was how deep we could go. When we go real deep we went to bolt on holder.

Looks like the SECO site is down.

Thanks Martin.

I few things I know that make a sucessful deep helix bore are the tip radius needs to be small not a button cutter but more like a high feed cutter. Second little carbide contact something with 3 or 4 flutes is better then 6 or 7. Thirdly chip evacuation through the tool air is best but the chips need to get out of the pocket or bad things can happen.

I hoped some tooling mfg company would have a modular system for such an application.