Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

NTMA training

harley512

You get out of it what you put into it.

Some people are there cause they want to be..

Some are there because it keeps the free money

rolling in..

( ie their unemployment has expired and they can keep it going if they go to school)

My boss hires gradutates from there on a regular basis.

Some have been very good.. others not so much.

Quite a few guys on this forum have been intructors at NMTA.

I'm sure they'll chip in with thier 2 cents.

biggrin.gif

If I were you, I'd look into the machining program

at Rancho Satiago Community College in Santa Anna.

I took 3 semesters of Mastercam V5 and 3 semesters

of SolidWorks there back in the day.

They were good couses, well worth my time and money. The SolidWorks instructor was the kind of teacher you run into once in a lifetime.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Like gocode says, you get out of it what you put into it. I was an instructor there back in the V9 days. I had some great students and some not so great students. The great ones made the headaches all worthwhile.

If you're already a programmer, you'll benefit most if you do things diffrently than you would normally. Your goal should not be to "get through the class", it shoudl be to learn more about the software. I had several students that were qualified themselves to teach the class, but they came in with the right attitude and learned more about the software.

JM2C

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

And, they pay scale sucks ... when Henri was there, I was offered $8.00 more than I got paid ...

WOW... just WOW!!! I still think the NTMA's glory days are behind it. Once Max and Irv "retired" rolleyes.gif the heart of manufacturing there was gone.

JM2C

quote:

WOW... just WOW!!!

Couldn't have said it any better ...

The new shop foreman there is very good and cares ... but he doesn't call the shots for payroll ... tight budget because not enough students ...

I asked for a raise and they said that they couldn't afford to pay more ... so I left ... had they said yes, I probably still be there ... I really enjoy teaching others who are interested ...

Oh well, their lost ...

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

More like $12/hr after you get done paying all the taxes on the 2nd job. rolleyes.gif

I'm doing little to no contract work anymore. My family time is way more valuable than the extra money I'd be making. I still will do some stuff for a small shop guy that I've been friends with since my Mori days. He needs the occasional help to survive. I don't mind helping him out so much. That's a few times a year.

I'm just not that motivated to spend time away from my family anymore. With everything that's gone on in my family in the last 2 years... just not that motivated, plus I've been traveling a lot lately and I'm into some involved projects at work thata really demand my full attention.

And yes, if somebody offered me $21/hr if I didn't "need" it... I'd fall out of my chair laughing too. I made $32/hr when I was there IIRC. Maybe it was $31... regardless, It was a little on the low side then but I enjoyed teaching so much I didn't mind the low pay scale.

Max was the heart and soul of the Instructors back in the day. He was passionate about what we did.