Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OK....so maybe I'm a little slow...

ScottyB

I am about to load v5.5 on a new computer with w2000. What complications can I expect and how do I get around them.

Before you rip on me for being 6 yrs. behind technology, let me say this:

We have a 6 yr old Heian and v5.5 is all I needed. Any Hi-tech parts are run on my new Weeke. V5.5 has been a little primative, but it got the job done. I have v6.0, but I stopped using it because the features didn't seem new, just re-arranged.

Besides, Mastercam has not contacted me even once in the last 6 yrs. about an update and Stiles Machine stopped supporting MC a few yrs ago.

With that all being said, can you give me any pointers or, what the heck, just send me the newest version at NC and everything will be fine. Trust me, I'm really not behind in technology, I'm just behind in this situation.

ScottyB.

GO PACK GO!

ScottyB the trouble is I don't think there are many that are still using 5.5 and now on win2k.

Now if you did update to v6 as you said then run that and I can tel you how that will run.

I have on my win2k box 6,7,8 & 9 all run well.

I even have V6 on my new XP Pro box.

There were some good inprovments between 5.5 and 6.1a.

One last thought have you thought about contacting your local dealer yourself?

Scotty,

The first porblem you will encounter is the sim.

V5.5 was the last version to run exclusively on green sims (activators).

Around the time pII's came out we began finding that the technology of the green sim could not keep up with pcs of this speed.

ex:

PC looks for the sim...the sim replys to pc...the sim is so slow to reply that pc is doing something else and has determined that the sim is not there.

V6 of Mastercam used Hasp sims and this speed issue was a thing of the past.

If you somehow get around the sim problem. Communications MAY become a problem as the new pc will be using the latest technology for transmitting data out com port. V5.5 did not have a very sophisticated communication program.

(ser16,ser32)

I have to use the word update in a sentence.

[ 08-20-2002, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Greg McKay ]

Scotty,

Forgive me, but it almost looks as if you reluctantly asked this question.

I would encourage you to call your local Mastercam rep - he will provide a solution.

Yes, the solution might even be to install Ver 5.5 as you wanted.

The bottom line here is to give the customer what it is that he wants.

Sell him what you think he needs another day.

If it is not possible to install the 5.5 he will suggest the minimal requirement to get you up and running.

It’s been a while since we used dos or the earlier versions on Mastercam when it went to the windows platform. Please make the call & get this machine back online.

Regards, Jack