Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis positioning

MattW

So, my understanding is the way to use 1 work offset and just get A moves is to use 1 wcs, different toolplanes will invoke the angular moves, and checking the 'display relative to WCS' checkbox will keep everything at G54.

So I check the checkbox, close the parameters dialog, reopen the paramaters dialog, and the checkbox is unchecked. When I post, I (naturally, I think) get a new work offset with every angular move. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I fumbled around and clicked enough buttons and got the output I wanted. I ended up with -edit selected operations- renumber work offsets- I set initial and increment to 0, and renumber any offsets already assigned. Somewhere along the way, I manually set all the offsets to 0 in the view page.

I still don't know why the 'display relative to wcs' checkbox doesn't stick.

I really wish I knew what I was doing. Things like this kill a lot of time.

Matt,

What post are you using? I use mpmaster and set the post to universally lock onto G54. That way I always get G54 and I do not have to change any settings. There is also a miscelaneous integer that allows you to lock onto first wcs so all you toolpaths will use the same work offset as your first operation.

Hi Matt,

When you checked the "relative to WCS" box did you also enter your offset in the other box?

If you don't do this MC will start assigning offsets for you....one for each view.

I always go into my view manager and make sure that all my views for a paricular WCS have the same offset assigned.....which is effectively what you ended up doing.

To make this easier you might want to think up some labeling structure for your different views.

Often my first view is a copy of TOP, so I'll make a copy and label it S1 WCS A0.

I then use this to generate my views (rotate view ,etc...) and label them S1 Axxx (better say thanks Colin G. before I get slapped for copyright infringement).

Next setup becomes S2. Its easier then to go into the view manager and ensure that all views from each WCS have the same offset.....

Cheers

Nick

Justin-

It is a post I got from my reseller that I have tweaked a bit, I am pretty sure it was developed from MPMaster.

Nick-

I am pretty sure I tried all combinations I could think of, and the checkbox still doesn't stick and work offsets are not generated in a way I understand. For instance- the first operation is to take material off the front, so I get the G54 A-90 that I want with T plane = Front. The next bit is to take material off the top, so I get G55 A0, with T plane = Top. later, I take material off the back (had to create the view, since MC isn't set up for a rotary on a vertical by default), and I get G54 A90 (???). I am baffled by this, all three ops have the same WCS, the display relative to WCS doesn't stick for any of them, and I am getting different outputs.

Incidentally, MC just crashed and I am almost certain I hadn't saved since getting it to come out, so I get to try this again. Hopefully, it goes quicker this time.

Hmm, well, while I was working on this file, I was also fiddling with the MD to see if the problem was there. File now has no toolpaths in it, zip.

I am thinking my kids will still be excited to see me tonight and the dog will be wagging his tail.

Fortunately, maybe, I saved an earlier version of the file, but it looks like it was a serious POS at that time.