Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helicoil Major dia

ckwhite

I am threadmilling helicoil and standard tapped holes with the same threadmill. The problem I am having is that the operator has to adjust the D-comp constantly. I think my problem is the major dia I have programmed for the STI threads. The only information I have shows me the " Tap Major Dia Max". I need to know the nominal.

Anyone know where to find this information.

? for you.....Did you pick a point when selecting the operation. Or did you select the hole itself. Just curious....might be why operator had to adjust comp value.

In cut parameters, for id/od thread choice is major thread diameter blanked out(meaning you can't input value).

Ok you got 50 holes you need to do. What is easier changing the value in the operation or re-picking all off those circles and changing the size of them? I always train people to use the simplest method to create the least amount of work down the road. Yes it may take an extra step to create a point on a circle or solid, but the down the road time is where this always pays off. Habit is what you make and if you have the habit of something then you stick with that for the easy things, but helps you with the really hard things down the road. cheers.gifcheers.gif

Just my thoughts and do what every make you happy, we are just trying to offer suggestion to make it easier on you is all take from it what you will. cheers.gifcheers.gif

steve i don't know what the major dia of a ex: 1/4 - 20 helicoil should be.

When we thread mill.....

5/16 - 24 hole and a 3/8 - 24 hole my major dia is .3125 and .375

I can use a 5/16 - 24 threadmill to do both. and they come out right every time.

But when we threadmill....

5/16 - 24 hole and 5/16 - 24 STI hole my major dia is .3125 and .370(MAX)

I can't use the same tool because the STI hole cuts oversize. .370 is not the nominal major dia