Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Turning Inconel 718

Canuk

Kennametal KC5010 for no interruptions

Sandvik 1025 thru interruptions

100-120 sfm .007-.010 fpr rough

100-150 sfm .005-.008 fpr finish

Keep doc less than rad of tool.

For deeper doc use lead angle 15deg.-45deg.

Ceramic, for roughing leave .06 stk for carbide

600-1000 sfm .008-.010 fpr

15deg. lead or large rad

FLOOD coolant, make sure its clean an mixed properly.

Inconel 718 age hardened.

I am using WNT CNMG120408 in grade CCN2120. Still looking for optimum settings but 30m/min, 2mm doc, .07mm/rev gives good tool life and excellent surface finish. Over the next few days I'll push up the speed. But here's the funny thing - I bought one of those xxxx looking toolholders to make use of the 'unused' 100 degree corner of the CNMG inserts with a 15 degree lead. Result - tool life much improved at increased doc.

Ceramics all the way, unless you have a tolerance of +/-.005 or tighter, then use carbide. Kennametal KY1540 or Greenleaf WG300. 700 SFM when cutting scale, 900 to 1100 in clean cuts. 1/2" button (RNG-45) with 1/8" DOC when roughing use .007 feed, finish cut are usually .05 or less with 1000 SFM and .011 feed. We also use SNG-656 square inserts for serious roughing. .300 DOC, 700 sfm with .0055 feed. RNG-45 time in cut is 5-6 minutes in clean material, 4 or less if you're cutting scale. SNG-656 time in cut 4 minutes or less. Greenleaf (best ceramics out there AFAIC) has programming methods in their book which help alot. We cut Inco and Rene88 on a daily basis like butter. I can send you one of our programs to show you how we do it. Edge prepping the stock is probably the most critical thing.