Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drill sorting question, please help !!!

tecno

Hi, I´m working with MCX4MU3 and when I do drilling, I define the order of the entities selected for the drilling as needed, I rarely use the sorting, but the problem is that when Mastercam calculates the toolpath, the tool moves in a different order as defined, when I click in the geometry icon for that operation, the entities are ordered in a differetn way as I did but the sorting is defined as off, I do not know how to void this situation, of course I can change the order of the points but when the program is regenerated, the order is changed again. The most usual pattern for the sorting generated in mastercam is like a "star", moving from one corner to the other and doing very long rapid moves.

Any help will be appreciated

If you pick "entities" in the Drill Point Selection window they will sort on their own if you want to call that sorting. If you use the "arrow" or pointer and click the center of your circles the path will be in the order you clicked.

Edit: I haven't tried this with 40 points but you might be able to use this work around.

On your selection click the first point the same way you're doing it now and close. Click Geometry in the toolpath manager and click "Add". The added holes will be in the order you click them. I've only used that for maybe a 1/2 dozen holes. Usually for forty holes I just window them in and sort using the point to point button.

I've had the same problem. To remove a big chunk I will put points along a path and put each point say .375 apart. Then drill those odd number points first, then even number holes with a .390 drill so the even number holes breaks out on both sides and the chunk can come out whole. But I always have to reorder geometry to do it. I've been wondering how this could be changed so I wouldn't have to do that.

There is a real simple solution to this problem: Do not use the "Entities" option on the drill point selection dialog box. Pick the "Selection Arrow" button, then pick your entities (points or centers of arcs) in the order you want to machine them.

Mastercam will then follow the path in the order you choose. To make it easy, after I make sure I'm in selection mode, I use the Auto-cursor Override buttons to "lock" in a selection mode. Typically I use the "Arc Center" override. To put it in Lock mode, Right-click on the override. If you left click, it is a single override choice.

• Like 1